Can I sue my bank?

lazoon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some 3 years ago my small business died.

It was a Ltd Co.,

I was sole director/shareholder and it was registered with Companies House.

It failed with an overdraft of some £7,000.

The bank pursued me personally for the debt and i'm currently paying a token amount each month.

I recently queried the bank about this suggesting that they should have taken action against the company rather than me personally

and was told that I would have signed a form at the time taking personal responsibility for any granted overdraft.

I don't remember doing this ( it was 4 yrs ago) but accept that it's likely that I did.

Can anybody enlighten me as to whether I have any legs to stand on if I revisit the case and sue for wrongful pursuit?

Some 3 years ago my small business died.It was a Ltd Co., I was sole director/shareholder and it was registered with Companies House. It failed with an overdraft of some £7,000.The bank pursued me personally for the debt and i'm currently paying a token amount each month.I recently queried the bank about this suggesting that they should have taken action against the company rather than me personally and was told that I would have signed a form at the time taking personal responsibility for any granted overdraft.I don't remember doing this ( it was 4 yrs ago) but accept that it's likely that I did.

Can anybody enlighten me as to whether I have any legs to stand on if I revisit the case and sue for wrongful pursuit?

Did you sign a personal guarantee?.

If you didn't then you aren't personally liable (save deliberate malfeasance).

If you did, on what grounds do you feel it is "wrongful pursuit" : signing a personal guarantee grants them the right to sue the individual for the company's debts

I was told that generically I would have signed a personal guarantee.I honestly don't recall.It's a sticking point and I guess that my only way of checking would be to ask for a copy of that form.

SAR them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ask for proof of debt is there any charges added on to this debt

Proof of debt? It is an overdraft : did the business draw funds that it did not have at hand?.

Charges are an avenue that could be pursued, but since it was a business account : the business may have agreed to those charges.

The key is the presence or absence of the personal guarantee, which the SAR should resolve.