Capital One debt - Help

TommyCat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I sent a recorded letter and £10 postal order to capital one explaining that I couldn't afford to make the minimum repayment amount, and offered them £10 a month for 6 months. This was at the beginning on April.

I never heard anything from capital one until today I received my monthly statement. It shows the £10 payment on my account (the postal order that I sent them). They now want double the usual minimum payment and they have charged me £12 default charge as I did not make the minimum payment last month.

Now I don't know what to do because they have not got in touch with me about accepting the £10 a month for 6 months. Should I send another letter? If so, what should I write?

Much appreciated for any help.

Thank you.

When making an offer you need to agree it in writing first. The late payment charges can be reclaimed as they are unenforceable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

As I said. Unenforceable and reclaimable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Yep. They have to accept ehat you can afford not what they decide. Make sure to tell them to stop interest and charges as it would do nothing to help you. If they dont then drop them to £1 a month till they agree.

Address your letter to their Head/Registered office and ask why you did not receive a response to your earlier letter.

I suspect what has happened, is that your payment and letter have been sent to collections - they don't read the letters, simply detach the payment.

There are some letters in the CAG library that you might like to look through.. you also want interest and charges suspended whilst you are offering a token payment, else the debt will continue to increase.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Capital One (Europe) plc.

Trent House,

Station Street,

Nottingham,

NG2 3HX.

^^^^^^^

Here you go :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

TELL [dont ask] them they are only going to get £xxPCM for xx mts

as a goodwill gesture

and as a reciprocal GOGW they must freeze int & refrain from levying PENALTY charges.

if they wont

drop them to £1PCM for life.

as an example>

I am currently in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly repayments.

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £5 for 6 mts.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation change.

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture,

refrain from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.?

Should you fail to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, contrary to all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions would do nothing to help me.

i thank you for your time.

dx

then pay by your internet banking site

and get reclaiming

TAKE CONTROL

or

if you have sent the above and they refuse

then write back........

i'm sorry, but you have failed to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, against all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i repeat again, the contents of my letter dated dd/mm/yyyy, for want of clarification:

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £XX for XX mts

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture, refraining from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation chance.

should you fail to help by refraining from levying unlawful PENALTY charges & freeze my interest,

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions are doing nothing to help me.

This is contrary to the rules you should operate under.

disgruntled account holder

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

Have you sent these letters by Recorded Delivery so that you have proof they have been received ?

Capital One are probably one of the worst companies to deal with and they will almost certainly sell your account on at some stage. I am not quite sure what you will need to do now, if they are refusing to engage with you. This is very much against OFT guidelines and their own Lending code.

BCOBS

as you said in letter one or two above

you are TELLING them you are doing this

not asking fortheir blessing.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

post 13

sadly by paying toward the debt

you are admitting it.

dx

and they

Hi all,

Today I have received an Income and Expediture form from Capital One, but I have a problem.

1. I do not have any income, I do not claim any benefits and am currently living with my parents.

2. They ask for household details, then mention 'your' referring to me, do I need to include my parents income? This is my Income and Expenditure form, should I really include my parents finances?

3. Should I fill the income and expenditure form in? because there are going to be loads of 0's or N/A's.

4. What will most likely happen now? As capital one will see i have no income, no assests. Will I most likely be put on a payment plan or will they send my account to a debt collector?

Thank you.

you are under no legal obl to fill in any sheet

they are not a judge

they have no right to see you pers financial details.

do not ever give that too them...none of their business.

have you used the route in post 13?

dx

and they

Hi, I sent the template twice to them offering £10 a month and now today I received the Income and Expenditure form.

I will send them another letter with my offer, no doubt they'll refuse because I'm not going to send the Income and Expenditure form back to them, they want to much for the sake of a payment plan.

If they just accepted my offer then things with them would be a lot better, but...

Thank you.

Edited by TommyCat

which template???

did you follow post 13?

dx

and they

Hi, I never offered them £1 a month for life because I hoped they'd accept the £10 for 6 months (I used the template in post 13, but left out the £1 a month for life part out).

But for some reason they are delaying saying yes or no to me.

Edited by TommyCat