Statute barred debt and credit files

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope this isn't a stupid question but.... most of the advice I have seen on here regarding statute barred debt always suggests that a poster checks their credit files with Experian or one of the other CRAs. The theory is that if a debt does not appear on the credit file, then it has gone past the six year limit from anniversary of default or last payment (I think that's right), and is therefore statute barred.

My question is this - what if the debt was never put on the credit file in the first place?

Are all debts put on credit files?

They should be.

I my case however a fairly large account was defaulted but the default never registered. In this case the default is now over 6 years old and would havefallen off anyway.

David

Not that simple. The placing of a default with a CRA gives absolutely no proper indication of when a payment was last made.

You’d need to contact the original lender, via SAR if necessary, to ascertain that.

Take this example. You didn’t pay a credit card bill, and a default appeared on your file in March 2007. But in March 2008 you paid a token amount of £10. Because a default can only be recorded once, it stays on your CRA file as March 2007, but the SB date would be April or May 2014 because you made a small subsequent payment.

And remember also the the placing of a default with the CRAs is nothing to do with the issuing of a default notice, which is a prerequisite fo enforcement.

Sorry to but in but can I confirm that if you make token payments on a credit card debt even after default it stays on you credit file . Reason I'm asking is that I have a Mint debt and it defaulted 2010 and Ithey have been in touch to say they are willing to accept a token payment of one pound till Jan 2014 and then will review. I thought this would fall off my credit file in 2016 six years after default. Am I wrong. Thx and soryy again for butting in x