CSA & Income Support

Lisestar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently living with my partner and it looks likely we are going to separate.

We have a joint/couple claim and currently receive IB JSA. We have a child aged 1 and she would stay with me after the split.

I understand I could claim Income Support as I'm unable to work due to looking after our daughter. I have 2 queries I need help with:-

1. If my partner subsequently gets a job would that mean the CSA would automatically become involved or if we have an agreement between ourselves with regard to maintenance can we agree that the CSA do not need to be involved?

2. Does anyone know how much I can receive by way of maintenance before it would affect my Income Support.

Answers to either of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about this.

1) The CSA would not become involved unless you or your partner asked them to. If you can arrange an amicable maintenance agreement, this would be vastly preferable to involving the CSA. I can't stress this enough - they're a huge, confusing faceless bureaucracy.

2) Child maintenance is fully disregarded for IS, so you could receive any amount without your benefit being affected.

If you need a reference point, as to what the CSA would look for, they would start with a basic assumption that he should pay 15% of his net pay as maintenance. They would make deductions from this for any other child who lives in his household, and also a deduction might apply if your child stays with him overnight at least once a week/52 nights per year.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

1) The CSA need not be involved. If you can come to a private agreement then that is vastly preferable especially as it looks like the CAA will soon start charging for using its service. Only point to remember is could you trust your partner to pay you on time every month? For me a major plus point of using the CSA is that I cannot trust my ex partner and if he fails to pay then the CSA will chase for arrears

2) CSA isn't regarded as an income so you would get the full amount of income support/other benefits