benefit fraud court date

krsrejm06
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im sorry i wasnt aware you had to be innocent or lie to post here ? Im more than aware what i did ( some 4/5 years ago !) and my husband and i pay our taxes like everyone else and he works 60+ hours a week to provide for us so dont worry you most definitely not be paying for my child or my children i currently have . We are not a couple who sit on our backsides claiming benefits ,nor are we living in housing assosciation houses given to us or being paid housing benefit or council tax benefits nore are we claiming any jobseekers , income support . I failed to report a change in circumstances due to a very complex private life which im not justifying - i was simply directed here for some advice not personal opinions but ill allow you that one if it makes you feel better .

Don't fret about the negative posters. I'm surprised really because this forum is usually non-judgemental.

I wish I could give you advice, however I'm not experienced enough for that. I can however send good wishes and hope somehow things work out for you.

Chin up hun xx

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you everyone . I spoke to an adviser at CAB she said you can write to the paper to ask them not to publish but often this makes them make it bigger ...... My local cab are ringing me to make an appointment . Id rather not postpone the case - id much rather get it over i just worry about the stress on my baby .

My husband received the same envelope today ... he was also iuc in relation to my claim? So god knows what he is being charged with :(

rang my GP because if easter they have no appointments at all untl after my case....... unsure what to do on that one i need to ring cab back to get an appointment but thought id best wait and see what my husbands letter is first :(

I don't know how it all works, as its years since I was pregnant LOL .... just wondering if you have a midwife? or some healthcare professional that you see with regard to check ups? am sure a GP would fit in a pregnant patient who needed to be seen? rather than just ask for an appointment maybe see if you can get in that way? just my thoughts.

hi all im summoned to court in a few weeks for benefit fraud ( claiming to be single while living with a partner )I plan to plead guilty i just want it over with asap .Im currently expecting a baby and am suffering quite badly with depression at the moment. I dont feel like i could be strong enough to attend court but it says if i dont it will go against me .Also i was wanting advice regarding the publicity around this - i live in a tiny village as does my landlord ( next door) my children go to the local schools , my husband works for a local company . Once this is publicised i will probably lose my home , my husband his job and my children will be so badly bullied they wont have a school to go to .I know this is all my fault and i dont expect symapthy but is their anything i can do to protect my children?thank you x

I know it is of no help, but at least you will know what happened to someone close to me.

He was prosecuted by the police (DWP started the case) - he was working trying to start up a business from scratch and signed on as unemployed claiming Income Based JSA and CTB. He claimed for a period of just under 2 years. He then signed off when the business started to give him an income.

About a year after he signed off the DWP started an investigation after a tip off. His home was raided at 6am, all his paperwork siezed and was arrested.

Eventually it went all the way to Manchester Crown Court where he pleaded guilty to various charges relating to deception, fraud and theft totalling approx £12,000 of JSA & CTB. He is in his mid 40's and had never been in trouble with the poilce before.

He was sentenced to 6 months in prison (5 of them suspended for two years) and 2 years probation. He was out after 2 weeks and still had to repay the £12,000.

His case was probably a lot different to yours as he refused to co-operate with the DWP and sent them 'round the houses'. The DWP brought the police in as they were getting absolutely no where in trying to gather evidence going back 3 years. It was only after the police turned the home upside down that they managed to gather enough to prosecute.

His case was all over Granada news, the BBC news, two local papers as well as local radio stations.

Unfortunately after coming out of prison he held a personal grudge against both the DWP and the police. Then about a month or so before his 2 years of suspension were up, he bought a caravan with a cheque that failed to clear because he had 'stopped it'. He took the caravan back to the dealer (Stewart Longton) and left it there as it leaked like a sieve. The dealer complained to the police, he was arrested and charged with deception and theft with intent. Once again he pleaded guilty, this time at Preston Crown Court and received a 17 month prison sentence (12 months suspended for two years) plus costs and compensation.

Ironically, I only found out after the event that he could have claimed WTC's instead of JSA and would have been entirely legal and would have been entitled to the £12,000 albeit under a different benefit!

Edited by dogboneday

its very hard situation - they havent given me a figure im supposed to have obtained ? I imagine th eperiod of time they are saying will be thousands despite i probably would of been entitled to half anyway . My husband is being charged with counter fraud too will ring cab first thing and see what they say - i hope i get the chance to explain - thanks again people xx

Sorry but I just cant summon up any sympathy.

If you can't summon up any sympathy then read all of the other posts. If you still feel the same way, maybe you're on the wrong site.

pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

Ay up folks - it's not really relevant whether you are sympathetic to the OP or not. Offer helpful advice, or go complain somewhere else.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Ay up folks - it's not really relevant whether you are sympathetic to the OP or not. Offer helpful advice, or go complain somewhere else.

Hi Antone,

You have given me very good advice, twice in the past so of course I respect what you say.

My point is your point. My post was to the point – if you have nothing to say i.e. something positive or helpful, then don't post anything.

Ay up, slap my wrist if I’ve done wrong,

pitcher

Edited by pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

Hi Antone,

You have given me very good advice, twice in the past so of course I respect what you say.

My point is your point. My post was to the point – if you have nothing to say i.e. something positive or helpful, then don't post anything.

Ay up slap my wrist if I’ve done wrong,

pitcher

I wasn't complaining about anything you've said - you're fine. I just reviewed the thread and issued a general reminder.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

yes please get that GP appointment, its really important for your health, your baby, and hopefully anyone with a heart will at least hear you out and deal with this fairly in court.

completely unrelated to this matter, but a while back I had to go to court to give evidence in a matter, I took the time to write notes here and there, and when I could face it I used those notes to write up a statement, which I copied, was able to give to the legal team on the case for the person I was trying to help with my evidence, and also used it to refer to when giving that evidence, so that I didn't forget anything that I wanted to say. In that instance it was mostly answering questions but at the end I was given the opportunity to say anything else relating to the matter. The statement I took came in handy then. Just a thought. Nerves are a nightmare on the day.

i have an appointment with CAB early next week still working on the GP appointment :(

Hi,

Ask the receptionist to at least have your GP ring you, they should be able to manage that, tell them it's urgent (which is no lie)....my health centre routinely do this, perhaps because we are so rural. Tell your GP all that is happening, including the fact that it's causing you mega stress, and ask them to provide you with a letter detailing your condition at the time of the offence and to send it to you asap.

thanks i really wanted to see a GP who i feel i cant talk to but she is on A/L . They sai dthey cant et me an appointments until 3rd ( with a not so understanding gp !) will try ringing tomorrow see if there are any cancellations

it might be worth giving the midwife a ring? she may be able to help, as I said in another post, any health professional who is already involved may be a way through, I bet she could get you a doctors appointment or some kind of help, her only concern is mother and child and health of you both.

keep strong x

Hi KRES,

I used to be a fraud investigator for the old DSS, but it was years ago and things have changed.

However, I am surprised that you are being taken to court on this sort of case as it is usually very difficult to prove as evidence of cohabitation is virtually impossible to prove unless the investigator was with you in the house, We used to be happy to stop the fraud and if the claimant admitted it, go for overpayment recovery.

I am surprised that you are pleading guilty, no matter what unless the evidence is compelling.

Did you immediately " put yours hands up" at the interview under caution?

What sort of evidence did they have?

I can understand if you don't want to discuss this on a public forum, but you can PM me if you wish.

I am also confused that you do not know the amount of the alleged overpayment as they must know this as they would not prosecute for relatively small amounts . The amount should be on the prosecution papers.

I do not judge you as others have done, but you come across as a nice person who has made a mistake.

As for the press, the DWP will not tell them. As already said, it depends if the press are there on the day.

You have hardly committed the crime of the century, but know it is about damage limitation.

Speak to th CAB and if I can help in any way, I will try.

hi pabrmu thanks for your help .I cant message you but briefly,, My situation was very complex initially the claim was honest i was dealing with a mass of family issues ( sick child being the main cause of the relationship break down ) my then partner came back briefly / stayed at his mums house his brother & sisters flat would come home for maybe 2 weeks at a time , we were still very much in love and wanting to work things out he coudll not get a bank account so left his wages to go into mine . We didnt inform everyone of our personal issues and didnt change car insurances over to is mums address as we always planned on sortng things out . we were in arrears with some house hold bills so the companies would not take his name off the accounts etc - all very messy . Some the evidence is a tad pathetic like the fact my partner didnt change his address at his GP surgery - not the first thing you do is it ? having 2 kids he came over 3-4 times a week if he was working nearby and stayed . Obviously the main issue is financially our finances remained together .In the initial IUC i didnt admit any guilt as i didnt feel id done anything wrong but after speaking to the housing benefit officer and looking through bank statements etc i said that i did access his wages so i admit that was not completely honest there were other factors one of which was the birth of another child we registered together . So yes i admit openly i was not as honest as i should of been . I would definitely fight some of the accussations but not being entitled to legal aid really is a massive issue :( I just want it over now its dragged on for quite a few years .Its only my children i worry about xxxxxI checked again through the prosecution papers and there is no figure of over payment just dates & the benefits involved .from what i worked out myself and from a letter from them ages ago ( they are now taking overpayment from me ) the housing & coucil tax amount is a lot -around £20000 i think then income support over about 37 months they claim :(tax credits havent been involved yet x

Hi Kres,

If you are sure that you are going to plead guilty, then you have to show yourself in as good a light as possible.

Certainly see your GP regarding your pregnancy and certainly seek CAB advice.

Have you got friends or relatives in positions of authority (no matter how low!!) who could write references for you.

On the day be as honest as possible and put your story to the magistrate, as you have detailed above.

I now it is easy for me to say, but worrying is not going to help your situation. You cannot alter things that are not in your power by worrying about them.

Things very rarely turn out in the worst case scenario and it is possible that no-one will be any the wiser after the case.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

Good luck and STOP WORRYING. It will only make the situation worse.

thank you ever so much , PP - nothing on court papers about how much but i found a letter from dwp from months ago stating i owe then £22000 which cant be right im sure unless dwp are retrieving over payment of tax credits and income support . Never had a letter from housing benefit / council tax people regarding what i owe :/