Forcing a CCJ to conclusion - help sought

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well over ten years ago I had a credit card with Littlewoods, it later became The Associates, and then Citi Financial. During this time I was seriously ill and my income ceased. It was then put on an instalment plan, and sold to Hillesden Securities Ltd (HSL). In 2008 they obtained a CCJ. Due to poor health I did not challenge this, but agreed to continue paying it off monthly, exactly as before.

HSL failed to supply, on written request, any statement or explanation of how the alleged balance was calculated. Even though interest and charges were supposedly "frozen", the balance had clearly increased by a substantial sum. That appeared to be (or include) undisclosed, unlawful charges, and/or interest. I worked out that the amount I had paid up to that point was roughly correct EXCLUDING any unlawful charges, and so I stopped paying any more. HSL also failed to comply with a CCA request, so it was and remains unenforceable. They have made no further contact, nor attempted to enforce.

The CRA record for HSL was deleted months ago under the 6-year rule, but the CCJ itself remains permanently on file, unsatisfied, which of course fails to reflect that I have paid what I calculated was the agreed remaining amount, many years ago.

Should I apply to the Court for the CCJ to be struck out due to something like maladministration (non-compliance with s78(6) statutory request)? I am concerned that if I just leave it, HSL might wait for me to be older, more feeble-minded and less capable, and then resurrect the CCJ and try to enforce it - even though the amount they claim is due appears to be solely residual unlawful charges or interest after the true debt had been cleared. The existence of this one unsatisfied CCJ is also a minor problem.

Thoughts will be appreciated. TIA

Edited by arthur256
typo

Thanks. What you say is correct, but I don't mind a potential struggle. (I took Vanquis to court recently, and got a settlement two weeks ago; I expected a struggle, but it turned out quite easy).

As I have paid HSL what I owe, and object to paying what I do not owe, I would just be asking for the unlawful part of the balance to be cancelled. I think a judge would consider that to be reasonable, but I will wait for more opinion before I go ahead.

Edited by arthur256
typo

It would be more than a struggle. It would be pretty much impossible.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress as yet... Hillesden have again promised paperwork which they already defaulted on years ago. If they don't get it to me shortly then I am going back to Court seeking a striking out.

I think you are indeed entitled to see a schedule of hte payments you have made and if they have been adding anything to the original debt. Did the Judgment order allow for any interest to be added to it ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D