Trading as meaning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So you are a sole trader and you have a business name ? e.g Fred Smith, trading as Mr Mint.

I think you need to read all your contractural obligations and obtain proper legal advice as to where you stand. I suspect that you are personally liable and may want to look at how you are set up.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

On contract - what does Trading As XXXX mean?

Basically - Licence agreement has my name, trading as XXX - does it mean my company is responsible for rent or me personally?

Thank you

Likely both you and the company.

It sounds like this isn't a limited company, so I'm assuming you aren't a director, but perhaps a sole trader?.

If it was "BazzaS, director of BazzaS Ltd." then if the (fictional) limited company BazzaS ltd took out a contract, with me signing it as a director, then I have no personal liability unless they seek a personal guarantee.

If the company folds I can loose the funds I used to set up the company but that is what my liability is "limited" to.

If I am BazzaS, sole trader and owner of the company "Magnificent BazzaS", and I sign a contract as "BazzaS, trading as Magnificent BazzaS", then the first entity liable is the company "Magnificent BazzaS".

If that company folds and there is still money owed, then I am still personally (as BazzaS, rather than the company) liable for the debt.

Cheers guys for reply,

Actually me and my partner are directors of this limited company Trading As .. So basically both directors signed Licence Agreement trading as Lightsource (actually Lightsource Limited).

If you say XXX trading as YYY, that is normally understood to mean XXX is liable.

If you only want YYY to be liable, then you just say YYY because it is YYY who is trading. In this situation XXX should not be doing any trading.

Best to sign contracts in the name of YYY, or XXX as director of YYY.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Cheers guys for reply,

Actually me and my partner are directors of this limited company Trading As .. So basically both directors signed Licence Agreement trading as Lightsource (actually Lightsource Limited).

Did you sign as "winnie_uk, director of Lightsource Ltd" (or "director of Lightsource Ltd, trading as Lightsource")?

So, does the contract show you as signing as an individual / part of a company that isn't a ltd company, or signing as a director of a limited company?

BTW is the name you used the correct company name?

Name & Registered Office:

LIGHT SOURCE LIMITED

ALLAN HOUSE

10 JOHN PRINCES STREET

LONDON

W1G 0AH

Company No. 02786123

That Light Source Limited is a company dissolved July 2011.....

Edited by BazzaS

Example...

Barclays trade as - Barclays Bank - Trade as - BarclayCard - Trade as Mercers - Trade as Connaught.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Did you sign as "winnie_uk, director of Lightsource Ltd" (or "director of Lightsource Ltd, trading as Lightsource")?

So, does the contract show you as signing as an individual / part of a company that isn't a ltd company, or signing as a director of a limited company?

BTW is the name you used the correct company name?

I signed as individual - just Peter X .... And i am director of this limited company.

BTW is the name you used the correct company name? - sorry no, i just used this name as example. My company is still running

I signed as individual - just Peter X .... And i am director of this limited company.

BTW is the name you used the correct company name? - sorry no, i just used this name as example. My company is still running

Think when you signed it, if you wanted any protection from limited company status, you had to sign it as director of the company and not just your name. The contract should have been in the limited co. name. As long as the contract was in the company name, then I cannot see a problem.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

As long as the contract was in the company name, then I cannot see a problem.

That is my question - in who's name is this contract?

Licence Agreement between XXX Ltd and Peter X trading as YYYY (just name of company, not YYYY Ltd)

Licence Agreement between XXX Ltd and Peter X trading as YYYY (just name of company, not YYYY Ltd)

Get proper legal advice. I am sure that I have read of companies doing this, so they can go after the individual and not the company, in the event that the contract is not paid by the company. You should really get a company solicitor or get advice from business link. Unless you have an understanding of what you need to see in contracts, so you have protection under limited company status, then you could be making mistakes.

There is no 100% definitive answer to this. A court would look at the circumstances and decide what a "reasonable person" would think. Would a "reasonable person" observing the transaction think you were signing on behalf of the company or in a personal capacity?

If you said "XXXX Ltd and Peter X trading as XXXX", to me it seems pretty clear that you are signing for the company.

If you just signed Peter X, that is more ambiguous. If the other side knows you have a company and that your company would be doing the work, then it would be assumed that you are signing on behalf on the company even though you didn't say this. However if the other side did not know you had a company, then you are looking at personal liability.

In future, sign "Peter X on behalf of XXXX Ltd" or just "XXXX Ltd". This leaves no room for doubt.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Forget for the moment that one party to the contract is XXXX Ltd : whether they are a limited company or not is irrelevant if they are the "other party". We need to focus on "your side".

As the words "director of" are missing from your being associated with your name, and the word "limited / Ltd. " is missing from the companies name of YYYY, I would read that different company "YYYY Ltd" has no involvement in this contract. The Ltd Company doesn't feature, and although one of its directors was involved in signing the contract, they did so as an individual, not as a director.

I think you are personally liable for the contract, unless you could convince a court it was a "slip".

One feature that might influence any such decision : is there a (not limited) company "YYYY"? Does it exist / has it traded now or in the past?.

One might understand you writing "trading as" instead of "director of " as one error.

One might understand you writing "director of" and then writing "XXXX" instead of "XXXX Ltd" : both errors on their own still leave the original meaning clear.

To have both errors together makes it look like you have your own (non limited) company, so both that company and you would be liable.