Claiming DLA

scoop1976
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I was diagnosed with crohn's disease in 2010 and have since been suffering with related arthritis. I made a claim for DLA and was refused, I appealed this and again was refused, so I have taken this to tribunal. A year on and I have just won my tribunal and been awarded back pay. My question is. How long does it take for the money to clear? I had a call today to collect payment information from me and was told told 7 working days for funds to clear. Is this correct as I am new to all of this.

Many thanks.

Scoop.

Hello and Welcome Scoop.

It's not something I can help you with but I've moved this thread to the appropriate Forum, hopefully you'll get some help shortly.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Well done on your win! It can take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks on average to get back pay - but there has been some delays lately so it could be longer.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

My GP has suggested i apply for DLA but i dread even going there. I need alterations to the bathroom due to the struggle i have and the local authority will only do these if i have DLA. The thought of an Atos assessment to get it just fills me with horror, and my blood pressure is already high, awaiting blood test results at the moment. I am guessing its stress related high blood pressure, due to the pain from my FMS, and somewhat panic as it becomes more and more difficult to do normal things and be mobile.

Hiya scoop

Congratulations on the appeal win.:whoo: we won a tribunal on 8th feb this year and were sent a form to fill in with details and asking about hospital stays. We sent that last week and got the backpay yesterday, so yes, if they've got your bank details, you should get the money quickly now. I'm actually still in shock it's been sorted quite quickly and with minimal fuss!

If you're getting middle or higher rate care, and someone looks after for you for at least 35 hours they may be entitled to carer's allowance or an underlying entitlement (which can give you/them extra premiums on income based benefits). Just make sure their signature is either illegible or matches the name on the form exactly or they might send it back :mad2: In fact, the DLA could entitle you to some disability premiums if you're claiming other things or extra tax credits.

• Haha 1

Ruby Tuesday, if you don't apply now for DLA you will have to apply for the new benefit called Personal Independence Payment from April 1st 2013. There is lots of help on the internet (and maybe locally if you're lucky) to claim DLA. You won't necessary have to have a 'medical'l, it looks like it might be more likely under PIP. If you have good supporting evidence, and can understand the criteria then it might be worth trying DLA. Benefits & Work have a lot of helpful guides on how to fill in forms, how to prepare for medical,and what really helped me was their section on what to expect at a tribunal. Yes, it is horrifyingly stressful, but if you believe you should be getting it then go for it. If you get the right support (not like us, well not at the beginning anyway!) it will make a huge difference.

Thankyou ellie I may give it a go then, but wont be able to use Benefits and Work as they charge for membership and I cannot afford it as am struggling as it is. Am sure there is info on here though. Nothing ventured and all that I guess.

Do apply, Ruby. As said you may not need a medical. I didn't, they just asked my GP for a report - which was useful as my GP gave me a copy of it so I could add it to my ESA50 supporting evidence. Just take your time with the form and complete it as fully and comprehensively as possible giving examples etc. It was worth the effort and I was awarded indefinite HRM and MRC which was, as you can imagine, life changing.

well my daughter is here with me now and she is making more sense of the form than I could..so we will do it today via the online application and see what happens, GP is supportive and is aware of all my health issues etc so will just see what happens. Nothing ventured etc.

Thanks ellie12022, I am still awaiting payment. I phoned DWP yesterday and they have told me payment was issued and will only take 3 - 5 days. How stressful was this. It makes you wonder if its worth it. Prior to being diagnosed with crohn's, I had worked my entire life and have every payslip to prove this. Yet still I had a year long battle. Maybe Im not to good at playing the system. Mind you it seems the majority of genuine claimants don't know either. Thanks all.

Hi scoop, it is worth it, for the back pay in itself, we are happily spending ours now :-) And remember DLA is not an out of work benefit, even though the media tries to imply that all the time. At least you know you'll have a bit of extra money to make your life a bit more comfortable for a few years anyway (hopefully!).

Thanks again ellie12022, I know its worth it. Im just new to all of this and wish I could do the things I used to do. If my wife wasn't the great, strong minded person she is we would not of got a penny. She was the driving force behind it, as I would have given in at the first hurdle. Glad I listened. Enjoy your back pay.