Declaring Mental Illness to new employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

I have recently been diagnosed with 2 serious mental illnesses and am starting the long road to recovery...

The two illnesses, Bipolar disorder and Schizoaffective disorder, are now being treated, but I am concerned about divulging this information to an new potential employer... I have a job offer, but no start date as yet..

I understand that I must, by law declare this to the DVLA or face £2000 in fines for not doing so, but is there a legal obligation to declare these disorders to my new employer and, if I did, what should I expect from them?

Has anyone had experience of doing this?

Many thanks xxx

Hi, I haven't been in this position as yet, although it could be looming in the future for me. In my opinion I would feel I had to disclose my Bipolar Disorder to any possible new employer as this illness never goes away, I had 12 months 1-2-1 CBT which was great in teaching me how to "manage" it better, however, it still affects me and my life daily, set routine in place to help the mood etc which am sure you already know about. I guess its down to how your illnesses affect you personally. If I didn't disclose to a new employer I would be worried that if/when I had an episode in the future, they would not be in a position to understand or deal with it, if it affected standard of work or time off, and having not disclosed it beforehand could maybe lead to dismissal, and could be considered my fault and in turn block any benefit entitlement whilst finding other work?........am no expert here, this is just my thoughts.......someone better seated to advise will no doubt come and do s

If you are asked by an employer about medical conditions and you do not disclose them then you run the risk of being sacked if/when they find out.

If you're not asked then obviously the decision is yours and you will have to balance the risk of not being offered the job/passing probation against the potential problems if you don't tell them and have the sort of problems Ruby mentioned. Perhaps you could ask to speak to your manager/HR after a few weeks in the job?

In my experience employers are far more likely to try to accommodate physical problems than mental health problems though of course they would never give that as a reason for not hiring you.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

If you dont make your employer aware of your condition then if things go wrong at work you would find it hard to use your condition as a reason or mitigating factor, also you wouldnt be able to say your employer has not made allowances or adjustments to help you if they dont know. The choice is yours really but if they ask specifically about medical conditions you will have to be honest.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

It depends on the job, but generally speaking if you have a disability or health condition you are not obliged to share this with your employer.

However, it is usually better to be honest with them so that they can support you and generally be more understanding if issues arise.

I would not inform them at interview but if you are offered the job you may wish to mention it then and notify them of any reasonable adjustments you may require.

By the way, do you have any support from a mental health charity? Some of them have employment advisers who can help you with things like this.