Potential problem with jeweller

healthykid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have a problem and I do not know what to do.

Ten days ago my wife and I went to good jewellers and my wife tried on a ring that she liked.

It was expensive and it was explained to us that although the stone had come from a secondhand source the setting and ring shank were new and that it had not been worn by anyone else.

We thought that was alright and a price was agreed and the jeweller measured my wifes finger so that the shank of the ring could be resized. Jeweller said that he would call when ring was ready to collect and that it could be paid for then. Wife and I left shop happy.

Jeweeler called week later saying ring was ready to collect.

Wife went in today expecting to come out with new ring. However, the ring did not fit(it was far too tight) and the jeweller produced a cheap looking valuation certificate that described the ring as "secondhand". Wife asked for clarification about provence of ring but jeweller did not give clear answer.

Jeweller tried to force wife to accept ring but my wife left shop without ring and did not pay for anything.

Jeweller said he would resize ring(again) and that he would again call when ring ready to collect(again).

My wife and I were alright with the stone being "secondhand" but now it would appear that the setting and the ring shank are also secondhand. My wife did not want a ring that had been worn by someone else and if she had would have gone to a store that dealt in secondhand jewellery. We feel that we were given wrong information about the ring when we agreed to buy it.

Would we be in a position to reject the ring and refuse to purchase it?

What advice has anyone got for this situation?

Thank You

Hello,

I have a problem and I do not know what to do.

Ten days ago my wife and I went to good jewellers and my wife tried on a ring that she liked.

It was expensive and it was explained to us that although the stone had come from a secondhand source the setting and ring shank were new and that it had not been worn by anyone else.

We thought that was alright and a price was agreed and the jeweller measured my wifes finger so that the shank of the ring could be resized. Jeweller said that he would call when ring was ready to collect and that it could be paid for then. Wife and I left shop happy.

Jeweeler called week later saying ring was ready to collect.

Wife went in today expecting to come out with new ring. However, the ring did not fit(it was far too tight) and the jeweller produced a cheap looking valuation certificate that described the ring as "secondhand". Wife asked for clarification about provence of ring but jeweller did not give clear answer.

Jeweller tried to force wife to accept ring but my wife left shop without ring and did not pay for anything.

Jeweller said he would resize ring(again) and that he would again call when ring ready to collect(again).

My wife and I were alright with the stone being "secondhand" but now it would appear that the setting and the ring shank are also secondhand. My wife did not want a ring that had been worn by someone else and if she had would have gone to a store that dealt in secondhand jewellery. We feel that we were given wrong information about the ring when we agreed to buy it.

Would we be in a position to reject the ring and refuse to purchase it?

What advice has anyone got for this situation?

Thank You

If you discovered the shank and ring were not as described and were "secondhand" rather than just the stone being secondhand, you could/should have rejected the ring at that point.

I am unclear as to where you stand as the jeweller is now resizing the ring (for the second time).

I suggest calling them to reject the ring as "not as described".

IF they say "we are already resizing it (again)", offer to pay for that extra work and ONLY that extra work, to fully and finally settle the matter.