Is this freedom of Information issues or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am unsure if this is the right venue for my question.

Please feel free to refer me elsewhere if I am mistaken.

I require some help in asking my bank to furnish certain documents.

Two years ago, I took a fairly large withdrawal from my bank.

Bank asked for an explanation, and the solicitor provided a detailed response through a letter from their firm and there were no issues.

The legal firm is no long operational and I require copy of that very document that was provided to the bank for an audit.

It is essential that I get this document and I am unsure how do I go by receiving it.

Do I make a freedom of information request?

Do I call the bank and just ask this document?

This was not a bank form but merely a letter from solicitors confirming why such a withdrawal was needed.

Can someone please help me out.

You need to make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998 which require the bank to provide all documentation they hold on you within 40 days, you will need to specify this particular document precisely.

There is a £10 statutory fee for this, there is a template letter in the CAG library.

You could try just asking and maybe they would cooperate, but I'm not sure they will.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you, guys. Please bare with me as all of this is "French" to me. I have the exact date of withdrawal, which is the same day the solicitors issued a letter explaining the reasons behind the withdrawal. If I have to hazard a guess, I am probably going to deal with a low level customer service rep who is either going to give me the run around or won't understand what I am after. To be clear, I unsuccessfully tried this few months ago but my need wasn't as urgent so I let it slide, this time it's different.

If I am going through this SAR thing, do they automatically give me every piece of information they hold? I suspect that would be a LOT. I have been banking there for over 20 years. I have never done this sort of thing before and was wondering if there were certain things I should do to ensure that 40 days are not just pi**ed away. Appreciate any further feedback in this regard.

Edited by res123

Yes they should supply all data the ''rule'' is the bank must keep all data for 6 years after an account is closed, so any documents that fall in to that category will not be available.

You send the SAR addressed to the Data Controlller at the bank by recorded delivery and check the date it is received the 40 days starts then.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: