UK CC debt living in France

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Arden did reject the lump sum payment, albeit I know it wasn't much.

They have requested that I fill out an expenditure and income form to demonstrate my disposable income and then after offer a regular payment.

Now without doing this I know there is hardly anything left after paying essentials like rent and bills. They also hinted that interest could be added to the debt!

Question is should I be filling in this form request? Or is it best to offer something like £10 a month? Does anyone have an idea what sort of percentage of the debt will these people accept as a lump sum as full and final payment?

I tend to think just let them drag me through the French courts, because at the end of the day I have nothing to give them, so blood out of a stone come to mind!

Thanks again.

Arden did reject the lump sum payment, albeit I know it wasn't much.

They have requested that I fill out an expenditure and income form to demonstrate my disposable income and then after offer a regular payment.

Now without doing this I know there is hardly anything left after paying essentials like rent and bills. They also hinted that interest could be added to the debt!

Question is should I be filling in this form request? Or is it best to offer something like £10 a month? Does anyone have an idea what sort of percentage of the debt will these people accept as a lump sum as full and final payment?

I tend to think just let them drag me through the French courts, because at the end of the day I have nothing to give them, so blood out of a stone come to mind!

Thanks again.

I agree that I would probably just leave it. Arden may just give up. They want the regular payments presumably so they could sell the debt on for a higher price. Once you start making regular payments (although small) I think the debt moves up a grade in how much it is worth, so Arden can gain more money. At the moment, having the debt has cost them money and they won't want to keep hold of it for too long.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...

Further update:-

Arden (acting for idem servicing) are writing to me every 2-3 weeks at present and I have spoken to them on the phone 4 or 5 times. Last letter came this week and stated " We are increasingly concerned that we have not been able to speak with you". Eh! I assume these are just things they do, like lie, as part of their pestering tactics.

I spoke to them yesterday and it's the same line about them wanting to arrange payments and I stating that I cannot afford payments. They rejected an offer of 4k (loan from family) to settle the debt, so I assume they think they can get more. I wouldn't have thought they could sell the debt on for more than that, or could they?

I will wait until they take me to court as there is little else I can do. In the meantime should I just ignore or should I respond to their request for me to contact them and repeat the same things over and over again??

Thanks

Don't bother to respond to standard chaser letters. I doubt that anything will happen. If they ever get around to going to court, you can enter into a mediated settlement, if necessary agreeing to regular affordable monthly payments.

Don't phone them again, as I expect they will see that as weakness.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 months later...
Don't bother to respond to standard chaser letters. I doubt that anything will happen.

Don't phone them again, as I expect they will see that as weakness.

I stopped responding to the chaser letters (they did repeat the same thing all the time) and you are right it has all gone quiet. Just wondering what may happen next or if there is anything underhand brewing that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

What can they do without it costing them money ? Not very much.

These debt companies mostly just work on their debt accounts, to try to collect on as many as possible just through hassling people. Once they have hit the target for the money they wanted to earn, then I expect that they are left with the difficult cases they cannot collect on. These are then packaged with other debts and sold on.

I suspect the next contact will be from another debt company or a debt collecting legal firm based in France. If they have a number of debtors in France, they may try to do a deal with a French legal firm that handles debt collection. But unless the debt is for tens of thousands, then I cannot see this happening. More likely is another debt company sending standard letters.

• 7 months later...

I've managed to agree a settlement figure with the debt agency to clear the debt but I am worried that the debt wouldn't be totally cleared. They are saying they will send me a letter stating that they will accept the one off payment to clear the debt and will register that the debt was part cleared. Verbally they are saying that it will be all cleared - end of debt.

Is there a recommended way I should go about this to make sure that once I've paid this payment that the debt is totally wiped and it cannot be sold on to another agency who will chase for the rest.

Thanks

I've managed to agree a settlement figure with the debt agency to clear the debt but I am worried that the debt wouldn't be totally cleared. They are saying they will send me a letter stating that they will accept the one off payment to clear the debt and will register that the debt was part cleared. Verbally they are saying that it will be all cleared - end of debt.

Is there a recommended way I should go about this to make sure that once I've paid this payment that the debt is totally wiped and it cannot be sold on to another agency who will chase for the rest.

Thanks

Wait for the letter to confirm that part settlement will clear the debt with nothing sold on or chased further. If you are happy with letter, pay it, confirming in writing that the payment relates to their offer made of a reduced full & final settlement for the debt. Your UK credit record will just show part satisfied, with a nil balance. It will remain for the 6 years from the original default date and will affect any UK credit applications until it drops off the record on its 6th anniversary.