Blake Lapthorn Northampton Court - Urgent

DARCYS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mediation..... during mediation, each side will present its view of the issue, and the mediator will work with each side to attempt to work out a settlement. At the end of the process, the mediator can present his or her findings and present a potential solution to the issue. The mediation process, unlike arbitration, is non-binding; that is, the mediator does not impose a decision on the parties, but he/she attempts to present a solution that is acceptable to both parties.

Mediation is an attempt to avoid the claim proceeding to trial.They cant order disclosure of documents..the claim is not based on that nor should a defence be either...they deal with the dispute as to why the debt is outstanding and how they can attempt to narrow the differences in the dispute.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Citizen & Hi Andyorch - thanks very much for your help as always and the information.

I have a clearer understanding of the mediation service from your explanation but one mild concern arose.

Firstly, I read it that my defence shouldn't be based on lack of documentation - either for court or for the mediation. I thought that was basically the whole of my original defence for the claim; that I don't acknowledge that I have a debt to AG and that I need to see the documentation to substantiate what they are claiming from me.

Please could you tell me how you think I should approach it when I enter in to the mediation?

Do I say that I assume they now really do own the debt and on that basis try to reduce the amount by offsetting the unlawful charges? Or do I continue to say I can't assume anything as I haven't been supplied any documentation that I've asked for?

Or might there be a third option?

Sorry for asking a question which is probably obvious to everyone else. In one way I'm relieved it has gone this path for now, but in another I'm nervous as I don't want to make any mistakes. From the tone of their letter I almost feel as if AG see mediation as an alternative way to get me to cave to their demands.

Although I can see that might be my own paranoia.

Thanks very much for any advice as to how I should approach this.

Kind regards

D

Hi Darcys

You read it correctly and I have always maintained that you do not base a defence on documentation you have requested and they have not complied...by all means request it to clarify anything...but there has to be an underlining dispute as to why you owe the money...if you owe the money....why did you not pay it back?

So a response ( defence) " they have not responded to my CPR 31.14 " is not a defence.(Unless its a case of mistaken identity)

They are not even compelled to respond ...its a civil request.....they must comply further down the route at Standard Disclosure...so that happens later in the process.

Anyone issuing a claim in their name owns the debt.....that's the law.If your dispute is unfair charges...disproportionate..... then challenge them...if your dispute is their attitude and behaviour during payment difficulties..... then argue its Unfair Relationship (CCA2006)...If they promised a payment plan and then litigated..argue broken promissory estoppal.

It has to be something tangible ...with merit.....not " they have not replied to my CPR request "

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for this, Andy - lots for me to think about here. I'll try not to 'overthink' which I do a lot! When you break things down for me it all seems clearer so thank you so much.

I think I need to take time to try and get the appropriate facts down on paper so I'll have some notes to refer to during the mediation. I know I'll trip over my tongue because I'll be very nervous which is a devil.

But I feel calmer knowing I can come here and ask my dumb questions first...I think about if I hadn't found CAG and Andy and Citizen and everyone else who has given me help and advice. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Thank you everyone. And if you want to give me any further suggestions, please don't hesitate - all are appreciated.

Kind regards

D

yes, it is a very good idea to have a crib sheet with some notes handy. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks, Citizen. I was hoping Mr. Hat might look in too as he took these same people on beautifully. I need to check his thread...

Appointment made for beginning of July for telephone mediation - yikes! The bonus is they won't see my red face.

Any advice?

Kind regards

D

I have never been involved in mediation so, no advice from me. Andy has pretty much told you what to expect.

It is the oppositions claim, so they should go first and perhaps advise what they are prepared to compromise on. You have all your reasons why you believe they are not entitled or what might trip them up in court.. things that you can use to bargain down or out of this muddle.

Meanwhile, I will have a look and see if I cant find someone who has actually been through this process for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I wasn't involved in mediation but I did tick that on my AQ. The other side didn't bother filling theirs out I suspect due to the fact they didn't want to defend my counterclaim. That's just a guess though.

The only thing I would say is that you should have it clear in your mind why you are fighting this and why their claim is an unjust one. I truly believed that I did not owe them a penny and that belief meant my arguments flowed naturally. I guess what I am saying is dont get bogged down with technicalities, instead focus on the downright unfairness of the relationship I.e. the unfair charges.

Just opinion.

Listen to andy and the others who have more experience than just one case.

All the best

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

Hi Mr. Hat - thanks very much for dropping in & giving me your perspective. It really helps.

I didn't put in a counterclaim at the time of submitting my defence, but I have a figure for the charges and this will be a focus for me at mediation. I think keeping it simple is key too - which is not a strength of mine.

Andy's advice has been great for keeping me 'on track' with my notes, and I'm trying to stay positive.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

D