me & my various benefits

shazajo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My claim form went in mid-October and I got my first payment at the end of November backdated to mid-September.

Obviously that was 6 months ago so timings might have changed - especially given that lots of people will be putting in their annual renewals at the moment!!

Feebee_71

My claim form went in mid-October and I got my first payment at the end of November backdated to mid-September.

Obviously that was 6 months ago so timings might have changed - especially given that lots of people will be putting in their annual renewals at the moment!!

Feebee_71

Thanks but I'm hoping mine won't take that long, my first wage is next week but because I started mid way through and the cut off point was last week they are going to be really low and I don't know how I'm going to be able to buy food gas etc

Do you not qualify for run on for benefits and back to work grant from job centre? They really helped me when I started work after 17 months!!

Feebee_71

No because I hadn't been on JSA for more than 26 weeks and they stopped the job grant in march so we are living off £114 a week for the 4 of us and that's gas electric food and bills and now I'm running out and don't know what to do

The target is to contact you within three weeks after you've submitted your claim. If you've got financial difficulties and haven't got your payment and If you haven't heard anything within three weeks, and can't meet essential living expenses like rent, gas or electricity bills, contact the Tax Credit Helpline. They will be able to tell you what the latest is on your claim and whether there is any information they are still waiting for.

scotgal 

Well might not be as long then if they're already paying you CTC, but it's renewal time just now and it will be bedlam in there :)

Hopefully won't be too long, why don't you ring and ask them? x

scotgal 

I phoned the tax credits this morning and so glad I did because apparently I can't have 2 claims at the same time, even though when I phoned up to get the form I explained I was getting child tax credit and now wish to claim working tax credit aswell.

Anyway the lady on the phone said she had to close my 1 claim down and add thw working tax credit to my claim so this is going to delay things even longer.

She said I should get an amendment notice within 2 weeks and payment should be added on to my child tax within 2 weeks too , great, why didn't the guy I spoke to on the phone explain that to me when I rang them weeks ago

I have just getting my first pay thank god but they have taken emergency tax off me which is quite a big chunk of my wages, the question is how long do I have to wait before I can ask for this back? As my employer said that my tax code should be sorted out for next months pay.

But other employees working there have stated they are still on emergency tax and have been there for 3 months

You can do it through the tax helpline. You'll be on BR until you are given a tax code, which can be generated off a P45 or P60. Give them a ring when theyre open and theyll go through a few questions to get you off BR. I was in the same prediciment a while ago, before i got things sorted out. I was on BR for 3 YEARS. Suffice to say, once it got sorted, i had a nice rebate come my way.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You can do it through the tax helpline. You'll be on BR until you are given a tax code, which can be generated off a P45 or P60. Give them a ring when theyre open and theyll go through a few questions to get you off BR. I was in the same prediciment a while ago, before i got things sorted out. I was on BR for 3 YEARS. Suffice to say, once it got sorted, i had a nice rebate come my way.

Thanks

And I never had a p45 when I started a few weeks ago but since got one from HMRC so gave that to my employer last week and my tax code was 944L but on my payslip it says tax code OT

Obviously the wages had already been processed before I gave my employer the P45 so hopefully this will sort itself out for my next pay.

I did try to phone HMRC today but gave up on hold after feeding the phone box £6.30

HMRC has a freephone number.

Edit. Change that, use 01355 359022 ( i think) Theyll need your National Insurance number and will go through a few confirmation questions.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

HMRC has a freephone number.

Edit. Change that, use 01355 359022 ( i think) Theyll need your National Insurance number and will go through a few confirmation questions.

Thanks very much for that number would I be able to use that number from my mobile allowance mins?

Yea, it's a landline number so will be considered the same on a mobile. If you arent sure, just give your provider a quick call and ask them how much they charge to call an 01355 region number.

If your employers have got the tax code now you'll get a rebate with your next pay.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks

And I never had a p45 when I started a few weeks ago but since got one from HMRC so gave that to my employer last week and my tax code was 944L but on my payslip it says tax code OT

Obviously the wages had already been processed before I gave my employer the P45 so hopefully this will sort itself out for my next pay.

I did try to phone HMRC today but gave up on hold after feeding the phone box £6.30

Good that you got a p45 from HMRC which your employer should process getting you onto 944L.

For your colleagues still on "emergency tax" (often 0BR) I was going to suggest they give the employer a P46, but checking HMRC's website, these have been replaced by a similar process, the "Starter Checklist".

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/forms/paye-forms.htm#1

It seems the starter checklist is the same process as a p46, but with added info regarding any previous student loan(s)

Thanks and I hope so as it was a shock to be taxed so much on what pay I got

Absolutely, though

a) your employer could / should have warned you?

b) your employer could / should have offered you a 'starter checklist' (see post above)

c) expect a similarly boosted (rather than depleted) pay packet when you get any overpayment back when you go onto the correct code.

Any rebate I got when on emergency Tax was paid by cheque, sent by HMRC.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Was that for the current tax year or earlier ones MD?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.