Can I remove my ex wife from mortgage??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all hopefully someone on here can help me with this as it seems fully trained solicitors cant! This has stretched out now over the last 5-6 yrs so i`ll quickly try to explain the situation...

Me and my Wife parted company approx 6 yrs ago - we have a joint mortgage.

I left her in the house - she never paid mortgage and ended up getting notice of it being repossessed then she left the property and moved in to rented accommodation with her new partner. I decided to move back in the house as I had invested over £40k in it (deposit etc) and I managed to halt the repossession proceedings and arrange a schedule of repayments to catch up with the mortgage which is all done and back up to date now.

fast forward approx 5 years...

Im still in the house but her name is on the mortgage still even though she has never made any financial contribution towards it or any payments etc.

She contacted me a few days ago (we actually get along ok now) to say a credit card company is threatening her with bankruptcy (shes in quite a bit of debt).

This has brought to the front of my mind what would happen if she went bankrupt could they come after this house as shes on the deeds for it still? which would be ridiculous as it would mean she would be ok in her rented house with her new partner whilst I would get made homeless for her bankruptcy??

I asked a local solicitor is there any way to get her taken off the mortgage and it took them over a year to tell me basically nothing.

Im self employed and have some bad debt myself so I cant re-mortgage.

Basically I need to get her off the mortgage as If I drop dead shes entitled to the house and I am now living with my new other half here.

Any advice?

Oh and just to add - I dont think theres any equity in the house as we bought it in the height of the housing boom and thee are now a few charging orders on the property as well which will most likely knock it into negative equity.

Edited by morganator
more info

Owed £2696.85 from Lloyds TSB