Mandatory Work Activity Scheme

sylvester_s
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been on jsa for 9 months, before that I have either worked or been in full time education.

I have been sent for 2 interviews to enquire about optional courses at entry level 3, I have a degree and a postgraduate qualification so felt these courses would not help. After seeing my advisor at the job centre I am told I am due to go onto the work program in April so I must gain some work experience to fill a gap on my cv, by going on the MWA scheme, if I don't I beleive I get sanctioned. This would be my first "offence". I was told by the advisor she has to get me a job before the 12 month deadline, because of her targets.

I have already received a letter from the placement provider so am expecting a call to go and see them. They are going to send me on an unpaid work placement for 30 hours a week. The 30 hours is just work no time to do jobsearch, so I'd be doing that in the evenings (if the placement is not working nights)

I feel like I have been sentenced for a criminal offence and am very depressed about the whole thing. I am attending inverviews so will they let me go to the job interviews whilst I'm working for free? Anyone else been in sentenced to do MWA? If they sanction you for not going can they keep sanctioning until you do go? I beleive I would be eligible to apply for hardship payments? Is there any point in appealing?

I'm hoping that the employment agancies will find me work but I have just applied for a new crb so that could take some time.

Edited by sylvester_s
typo

I understand that Job Centre Plus Staff must secure permission from a Line Manager before sending a candidate on MWA. Refer to the DWP Provider Guidance, Section 3.13 and 3.15

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/supplying-dwp/what-we-buy/welfare-to-work-services/provider-guidance/man-work-guidance.shtml

3.13 It is not necessary (although it’s desirable wherever possible) for the placement to be in the same sector or type of work as the customer’s job goal, as MWA is designed to help the customer develop disciplines associated with employment. Customers cannot choose their placements.

3.15 Placements must be additional to any existing or expected vacancies. You must ensure that employers are not taking advantage of MWA as a source of labour at the expense of employing workers in the open labour market.

The issue as to whether a candidate is mandated to participate within MWA is entirely subjective, and may even arise because the JCP Clerk had a bad day at the time when (s)he referred you to MWA.

Although you could appeal, and negotiate on the basis that you already offer proof that you possess the disciplines for employment, for both your target jobs and any other job, if Job Centre Plus insist, then your best option is simply to negotiate something yourself within a local voluntary organisation.

If all else fails, and you still have to attend an MWA Placement, then you can still negotiate something which will meet your expectations.... and ignore any role which could be filled by either an existing member of staff or by someone who is unemployed. And, if you are assigned to anything which requires you to attend an organisation at specified hours, working under the direction of a staff member, in order to deliver skills, then you could argue that you are operating under a "Defacto Contract of Employment", and if no payment arises, you could report both parties to the HMRC for Tax Fraud.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thank you for your advice.. The placement provider place sent me a letter to say that I have an interview with them to discuss the type of placement I would like. So I had an open mind about it and don't mind doing something rewarding or charity work. The interview is this week but they have already sent me the details of the placement this morning, it is a recycling ltd company where they deal with scrap metal and rubbish. They have sent me a timetable which is over a 7 day shift pattern, Monday to Sunday, so it's between 8am to 6pm over 7 days to be discussed.

Why on earth would i want to do that! I didn't spend years at university to work for 71 quid a week emptying lorry loads of rubbish. I don't mean to sound like a snob but those people get paid loads for handling dangerous materials. Do I have legal rights regarding this? I'll look into reporting them to the hmrc if it's relevant.

I understand that Job Centre Plus Staff must secure permission from a Line Manager before sending a candidate on MWA. Refer to the DWP Provider Guidance, Section 3.13 and 3.15

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/supplying-dwp/what-we-buy/welfare-to-work-services/provider-guidance/man-work-guidance.shtml

The issue as to whether a candidate is mandated to participate within MWA is entirely subjective, and may even arise because the JCP Clerk had a bad day at the time when (s)he referred you to MWA.

Although you could appeal, and negotiate on the basis that you already offer proof that you possess the disciplines for employment, for both your target jobs and any other job, if Job Centre Plus insist, then your best option is simply to negotiate something yourself within a local voluntary organisation.

If all else fails, and you still have to attend an MWA Placement, then you can still negotiate something which will meet your expectations.... and ignore any role which could be filled by either an existing member of staff or by someone who is unemployed. And, if you are assigned to anything which requires you to attend an organisation at specified hours, working under the direction of a staff member, in order to deliver skills, then you could argue that you are operating under a "Defacto Contract of Employment", and if no payment arises, you could report both parties to the HMRC for Tax Fraud.

Yeah right, try doing it. You really need to moderate some of the advice you dole out because not much of it actually works in the real world.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thank you for your advice.. The placement provider place sent me a letter to say that I have an interview with them to discuss the type of placement I would like. So I had an open mind about it and don't mind doing something rewarding or charity work. The interview is this week but they have already sent me the details of the placement this morning, it is a recycling ltd company where they deal with scrap metal and rubbish. They have sent me a timetable which is over a 7 day shift pattern, Monday to Sunday, so it's between 8am to 6pm over 7 days to be discussed.

Why on earth would i want to do that! I didn't spend years at university to work for 71 quid a week emptying lorry loads of rubbish. I don't mean to sound like a snob but those people get paid loads for handling dangerous materials. Do I have legal rights regarding this? I'll look into reporting them to the hmrc if it's relevant.

It would be a dreadful shame if you hurt your back out doing it, and thus were forced to sue the employer and the provider ;)

Because I bet you wont be given proper training such as moving and handling before your asked to start working. If I were you I would be asking the employer to confirm that their workplace insurance would cover you should you be injured/hurt as you have no prior experience of physical labouring, recyclying work etc, and have absolutely no training or experience in things like moving and handling and H&S in the workplace. Might put nasty thoughts in the employers head, and they wont want you.

You certainly cannot be sanctioned for clarifying your fully insured etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's very unlikely as these placements are organised quickly and don't require a crb check. Also, they don't take your current skills or qualifications into consideration. I read on another forum that someone else was made to do manual labour in a recycling firm without adequate equipment and clothing.