TV license summons.

Feathers85
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm looking for advice due to receiving a actual court summons today. I am going to see advice from citizens advice and legal aid, but I thought it might be wise to see if anyone else had experience or knowledge in this area.

I received a visit on the 13/9/12 from an inspection officer. Sadly believing I had nothing to hide, I let him in the flat to view what I had and explained I watched no live broadcasts. I don't think he could physically see as a big shelving unit is in front of the aerial socket, but it was not plugged in, and neither did he ask for the tv to be turned on. He seemed quite happy to believe me, asked me a few questions and said I didn't need a TV license as long as I didn't watch live broadcasts.

I also got a phone call stating there was no license at my property, and once again I explained my situation was said to be okay.

So I have to admit I was surprised when I received the summons. The exact offenses I am being accused of are Between 01/08/12 and 14/09/12 used a color television receiver without a license at the above address.

The summons has a statement with it which I presume is what is going to be used as evidence against me seeing as I have signed it. But to prove my point about me not using it to watch TV (I only game on it with my xbox 360) under the inspection section, TV, digital box and DVD player are circled. Yet none of the following are circled.. Power/Aerial plugged in and Brought into use. The freeview box was not even plugged in in any way shape or form

Something else which doesn't sit well with me is the fact I don't have a DVD player, I guess my xbox could be counted as one? But that isnt it's primary function and I don't believe it's illegal to watch dvd's without a license anyway?

So I'm quite confused how they can charge me when the statement doesn't indicate the TV could even receive (as it couldn't with no Aerial) Also there is a section which asks when the last time you used the set for watching TV programs which I replied to by saying 3 months ago. 3 Months covers the period they are trying to prosecute me for.

Under the section where it asks when did you first use this set to watch TV programs without a license and I answer May of 2012. But I later covered that period of time in direct debits.. and the actual offenses I'm being charged for are from 01/08/2012 to 14/09/2012

I suffer from multiple anxiety disorders and this is causing me a lot of stress I could do without, I am even tempted to plead guilty by post so I don't have to physically turn up. But I honestly believe I amnot in the wrong here and I was led to believe by the TV licensing company themselves that I did not require a license. I have made late payments in the past because sometimes my mental health deteriorates to a point I struggle to keep on op of such things, but I always made every effort to get back on track with payments and paid off arrears. I would of done the same in this situation but there was no indication I had to.

They told me they would drop the court case if I paid for a full year there and then.. but I don;t have that sort of money, I pointed out that II was told I didn't need one and thy simply told me to bring my evidence to court. I have renewed my tv license on a monthly scheme despite the fact I still don't watch TV at all because I'm scared they could send me to court again if they have done it once already. I also offered to pay off any arrears they believe I owed from last year but they told me that wasnt possible, much like you cant go back and pay car tax which is fair enough I suppose.

Hi Sorry you haven't had a reply as yet but am sure someone will be along soon

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)