O2 refusing to reconnect service unless i pay additional fifteen pounds and the bill is PAID!

diem23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My phone was disconnected on Thursday 9th January for both incoming and outgoing calls due to a failed direct debit which was taken out on 7th January 2013. There was money in my account to cover the payment but for an unknown reason this was returned. I called O2 on 9/1/2013 to make payment via debit card which was successfully paid and brought the account up to date, however upon speaking to the payment management team I was told to pay an extra £15 reconnection fee on top. I refused to pay the fee as I had paid the bill in full via debit card due to the problems with the direct debit not going through. I was also told if I don't pay the £15 fee I would be permanently disconnected and have to pay early termination fees for the duration of the contract, despite the fact the bill has been paid in full via alternative payment method. I now have no use of my phone and as I am a carer for a disabled relative I cannot contact them due to the ineptitude and slackness of O2's poor service. What rights do I have, the bill is up to date?! Advice appreciated thanks:-x

Well O2 have no right to accept payment and then to blackmail you with the loss of the entire contract because of an issue over an alleged outstanding £15. Is this reconnection fee specifically referred to in the contract? Also, it sounds quite excessive to me so it could even be an unenforceable penalty.

Your CC payment - has it brought your account into credit for the forthcoming month?

Have you any idea why the DD might have failed? It is important to find this out. It could fail again next month - and also it will help you where to focus the blame - and your demand for compensation.

Also, you had better keep an eye on your credit file because this will impact upon it in the next few weeks. You will have to take action on that too.

Once you have some of the answers to this, then you can decide how to go ahead

Hi bankfodder, thank you for your response.

The date that O2 tried to call for the direct debit was the same day my weekly salary went into my account. I did ask my bank why the direct debit was refused, they informed me that O2 must of called for the DD at a time before my wages went into my account that same day.

The £15 reconnection fee is referred to in the contract and the rather rude unhelpful lady at the payments management dept constantly quoted my payment was made late despite the fact I paid by debit card to bring the bill up to date after the failed direct debit. I stressed this to the lady on the phone but she was adamant even though the bill is up to date I still must pay the reconnection fee and I refused. I would understand if I didn't pay the bill at all but it seems to me O2 want to try and pull a fast one just because I paid via debit card.

The phone is still disconnected although the bill has been paid, I have sent an email letter of complaint to O2's complaint review dept, they don't have a telephone number to speak to anyone in the complaints dept apparently. What rights do I have? Would I be entitled to compensation for the time I've paid for a service and not being provided with it at all?

Well I'm afraid that this makes your responsible for the DD failure - because their very harsh rules are that the money must be there at the time. Frnakly this kind of thing must happen often and I think that it would be more sensible if the rule was that the money must be there at sometime during the day - or before midday etc.

I suppose that you will have incurred a charge from your bank as well for bouncing the DD. You had better make allowances for this as well. Frankly you would be advised to change the DD date as this will happen again, I expect.

I think that O2 are unfair - and not entitled to refuse you a service even though they have your money. However they are bigger than you and at present you have no service.

I think that your best interests are served by paying the money and getting your service restored and then pursuing them for the money back.

The basis for your demand is that their penalty is in excess of the cost incurred by the as a result of your breach of contract.

I expect that the only way to get the money back will be by court action - but I expect that they would pay it to you rather than go to a hearing. It would be a satisfying result but you must decide if you want to do this for only £15.

Frankly, I would, but I get bloody-minded about these things and also O2 and the rest need a good slap so that they learn to respect their customers a bit more.

It's up to you

Luckily my bank are not charging me for the bounced direct debit as my wages went in the same day. My bank were even confused as to why o2 would be so unreasonable, if there wasn't money in my account or i totally ignored the bilI then they would be within reason to charge the reconnection fee. I will probably call O2 today and hopefully speak to someone different who isn't a jobs-worth and get my phone reconnected. I have reported the situation to ofcom awaiting feedback from them regarding this.

If they still demand the reconnection fee, it might be worth telling them that you will be making a formal complaint, getting a deadlock letter if not resolved and referring to arbitration. The cost of that to O2 will be far more than £15 - pointing that out might make them change their minds