style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Since my "proper" business went bust five years ago I have been basically playing at getting going again, by which I mean starting slowly with very little capital and barely taking any money from it.I use my home pc to run Sage and just answer the phone if anyone calls. I have a bit of stock in a storage unit. I want to claim Council Tax reduction on low income grounds but the form asks whether I am self employed and I have said yes.I imagine this will get them wanting to assess for Business Rates but I would have thought that I'm hardly using my home for business......what do you think? I don't want them coming back at me saying I have been conning them for five years.BTW I onlt became "legit" in April when I registered as self employed.

When assessing an application for Council Tax Benefit they need to know your employment status to determine what financial information they require. As your self employed they will probably want your business accounts or copy of your tax return, to work out your average weekly income.

I think their unlikely to reassess your home for Business Rates, as it will be seen as secondary use, to the main use of living at the property.