Claiming for my TV on home insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

just looking for some advice really. I set up my contents insurance through Swinton, and was told I was getting a new for Old policy with Asgeas.

MY excess including voluntary is £200, which I can squeeze to. So I don't have issue with that, I certainly can't afford to buy a new TV of same spec brand new. So £200 seems easy by comparison.

However, when claiming the insurance, I was told on the phone that I'd get Like for Like... which may have just been the way she was speaking, and not quoting the insurance type cause it was just very quick conversation and dropped in. I may have even heard her wrong.

But what should I be able to claim for?

My old TV was a 42inch LG HD LCD, which cost me £650 at the time (2009). At the time, it was a pretty great set, it had all the top features. Admittedly it's a little outdated now, I'm not expected to claim for a 3D TV that's 60" or anything. But can I expect to get an LED HD TV that's 42"? that would be todays equivalent... LCD are hard to come by now, and much like if I had a CRT they'd replace that with a flat screen, should I expect a similar upgrade of sorts?

I just want to know if anyone else has any experience with this, because I don't want to be given a reconditioned second hand LCD TV, when I should be able to claim for something new... and possibly better (than what they offer, not better in spec than my old TV)

Thanks for any help

They will replace it with a new TV however technology has improved but prices reduced so the chances are they will replace it with a new tv of the same or slightly better spec but is likely to cost circa £400.

They have their own suppliers who will contact you and suggest replacement televisions, the supplier will often suggest manufacturers they get the best deals from which may not be LG, if the manufacturer is not of the same quality as LG you can argue the toss with them.

Ah, ok. Thanks for that.

I just had a call from the people who will come out to look at the TV on behalf of Ageas, and they said if it needs replacing they will either give me vouchers for Currys/PC World. Or buy it direct from Co-Op electronics, and send it me within 5 days.

I just needed to know that I'd be able to have some input on what I got, I didn't want a TV that was going to die within a year because they got one that was recoditioned... or one that was lower in spec because almost all 40"+ are now LED, so i'd be given a smaller LCD one.

42" LCD LG TV's are available - e.g this one at Play.com.

That said, it will most likely depend if they have any old stock available or not. Co-op electrical don't list any on their website so they're probably going to replace it with an LED TV - e.g ebuyer.com

You're also likely to find your premiums rise by more than the cost of the claim over the 5 years you'll need to declare it.

Edited by maroondevo52
Removed commercial links.

I did a new quote for my insurance, and it went up by £1.08 a month if I declared a claim this year. So not too much really.

The LG on Play.com is fine if they replace it with that, as long as it has one Scart socket too... which I think that model does, despite not being listed. I just don't think they have that in any of the places they listed.

The other LG, the LED one you posted, is exactly the same spec but LED instead of LCD... again, perfectly fine. If I got either of those two I'd be happy.