Jessops Faulty Conon DSLR Lens

stressed_traveller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a Digital SLR earlier in the year which included a kit lens. After a couple of months I noticed some slight problems with the lens: There was some slight play in the lens, and when adjusting the zoom, it made a slight "grinding" noise and the field of view appeared to move slightly. Although I didn't notices this straight away, the lens was not dropped or mis-treated in any way. When I took it back to the store from where it was purchased, the assistant agreed with me and sent it back to Canon for testing. Canon have now returned it and said that they cannot find any fault with the lens. I have tried using it again to see if perhaps cleaning and/or reassembly had resolved the problems, but it is the same as before. Although I am not happy with the lens, I am not sure whether these are just features of that model, or faults, and if so, whether to take it up with the retailer or the manufacturer.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks.

Hi,

I bought a Digital SLR earlier in the year which included a kit lens. After a couple of months I noticed some slight problems with the lens: There was some slight play in the lens, and when adjusting the zoom, it made a slight "grinding" noise and the field of view appeared to move slightly. Although I didn't notices this straight away, the lens was not dropped or mis-treated in any way. When I took it back to the store from where it was purchased, the assistant agreed with me and sent it back to Canon for testing. Canon have now returned it and said that they cannot find any fault with the lens. I have tried using it again to see if perhaps cleaning and/or reassembly had resolved the problems, but it is the same as before. Although I am not happy with the lens, I am not sure whether these are just features of that model, or faults, and if so, whether to take it up with the retailer or the manufacturer.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks.

Your contract is with the retailer and if it's not fit for purpose you have rights under SOGA.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Is that the 18-55 IS kit lens? The construction on that one is a little flimsy.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's an 18-55 kit lens. So, it sounds like it may just be a feature of the product rather than a fault? I guess if it has been tested by Canon without finding a fault, it's going to be difficult to persuade the retailer it's not fit for purpose.