Strange JSA question

gmbunn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4220 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm hoping somebody can give me a definitive answer here. I have been in full time employment for ever, never having claimed benefits. Recently I moved jobs and a problem arose whereby my new employers expected start date was delayed. I waited out a month just using savings and what I had to make ends meet but then I found out the delay has pushed my new start back another month! I've signed a conditional contract etc so it's def legit, but I've now been unemployed for a while and I can't have no income at all. I've looked for immediate start temporary jobs but as you're prob aware, it's not easy to just find something.

My questions are, do I qualify for JSA in this interim period of unemployment? If so would I still be expected to go through the 'looking for work' motions, and will the job centre be happy to process my claim knowing that although no date is set in stone, I'm likely to be back in work within a month or so?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Yes, you may be eligible. You say you have no income now - do you have a partner who has an income? Have you paid NI contributions while working, and has this been the case for tax years 2009/2010 and 2010/2011? Do you have any savings or other assets?

In any case, since you're not currently working and not currently getting paid for work, you could make a claim. You would still be expected to look for work to cover the period until your new job starts, and so you would be expected to comply with all the terms of the Jobseeker's Agreement you would need to sign as a condition of receiving JSA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes, you may be eligible. You say you have no income now - do you have a partner who has an income? Have you paid NI contributions while working, and has this been the case for tax years 2009/2010 and 2010/2011? Do you have any savings or other assets?

In any case, since you're not currently working and not currently getting paid for work, you could make a claim. You would still be expected to look for work to cover the period until your new job starts, and so you would be expected to comply with all the terms of the Jobseeker's Agreement you would need to sign as a condition of receiving JSA.

Yes contributions paid as per normal since I've been in work. I do have a wife who works part time but its only about 19 hours as we have a baby. I don't have any savings or assets to speak of. Thanks for the reply ill get in touch with them.

You can claim online.

You can consider making a claim for Income Based JSA too as your partner is working under 24 hours per week and there won't be any entitlement to working tax credits until you start work to take the household hours up to 24 or more per week, however your partners wages would be taken into account against the income based award so you may mins your contribution based award is a greater amount.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim