Dismissal, doubt on JSA, future job reference worries

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:!:Hi everyone! My name is Paul, aged 41, I live in Norwich and recently, after 6 years of working for an organisation full-time, I was dismissed with Gross Misconduct.

I have since managed to get my self sorted out, in terms of getting all the inevitable benefits sorted out, informing the relevant authorities of my changes of circumstances. The days following the Disciplinary Hearing were very hard for me - I felt shocked, very depressed, worried and very alone.

Now I have got over the worse, I am now feeling happier as the overwhelming emotional support I received from friends and family helped keep me optimistic.

To cut a long story short, I am now concerned as I recently received a letter from the Jobseekers Allowance department at my local jobcentre, stating that "there is a doubt over why my job ended" - I immediately got back in contact with my former employers, who informed me that they received a standard form to fill in, asking for details such as my job, salary and my hours worked - this form clearly led on to having received this "doubt" letter.

I saw my Personal Adviser recently and I showed him this letter - he explained that they will continue paying my JSA whilst further investigations are carried out, and that my employers will have to state why my job ended, and if the response is unfavourable, I could inevitably lose up to 26 weeks worth of benefit and that I would need to claim under the hardship provision. I will also be sent a copy of this, with the employers' comments so I can have an opportunity to put my argument across.

I have begun applying for new employment but am now concerned, as my employer has agreed to provide references but they will need to be honest about this. Could this be detrimental towards acquiring any future employment? If I do get an interview, do I declare this, and if so, how would I go about this?

This is all very new and daunting for me as I have Adult Learning Disabilities as well - I will be very grateful for any advice/suggestions regarding this.

This is normal procedure as you haven't just been laid off but dismissed. Don't lose your sleep over it and play your cards right. It's very unlikely that you will lose your benefits altogether. Back in the day you would get a reduced rate but I am not sure about now.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"