Police speeding radar gun procedure?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hope you can help!

The good lady wife believes she was caught by a radar gun, it was a 40 zone - she was doing 50ish (her words!). She wasn't stopped at the time; I was wondering what the procedure would be? Can a fixed penalty/summons still be sent after the event? I doubt she'll look to contest it - I guess she just wants to be aware of the process.

This is her second speeding offence in as many weeks, and the first two of her entire driving career.

Thanks,

Seq.

She may be lucky. If "50 ish" meant her speedo said 48 then she was probably doing 45. The 10% +2 mph would bring her just under.

Either way, they have 14 days to serve a NIP on the registered keeper.

I would imagine she was going faster, the road in questions IS very confusing as it goes from 60 to 40 back to 60 for no reason at all, it's just like your regular dual carriageway. There was only one Police man so it'll be interesting to see what happens next :)

Thanks for your help!

Most of the time nowadays, they only use the speed guns in areas where residents in the local neighbourhood watch, or parish council make enough noise to bully the police into sending a few PCSO's out with the speed gun. It's done completely as a deterrent. Unless there was a traffic car there (Which I believe are the only section allowed to issue a postal NIP for speeding) then I'd say wait for the letter to come through the post telling your wife she's a very naughty girl for driving in an area blighted by speeding motorists and RTCs on an hourly basis.

I doubt it's much to worry about, as said, most of the time manned by PCSO's.

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. What you're saying is totally my gut feeling too. The road is actually a rural dual carraigeway. I've no idea why it's a 40 zone but obviously there must be reasons. I would imagine it's for the reasons you've given - We're talking Oxfordshire here!

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. What you're saying is totally my gut feeling too. The road is actually a rural dual carraigeway. I've no idea why it's a 40 zone but obviously there must be reasons. I would imagine it's for the reasons you've given - We're talking Oxfordshire here!

If you check you will probably find that a councillor or MP lives near that stretch of the road.