Legal responsibilities of executors

1t-bag
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am one of the executors of my late mother's will.

I have been informed that the estranged mother of an 18 year old beneficiary of the will is demanding to see a copy of the will.

Probate has not yet been granted; My question is, are we obliged by law to release the contents of the will to:

1) any beneficiary

2) any person who is not a beneficiary

before probate has been completed.

Thanks for your help.

I can't see that the morther of an adult beneficiary has any claim to the information at any time.

Others may advise furter.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Unless it was previously registered, the will is a private document until probate is granted.

So 1t-bag is correct, as wills become an annexe to the Probate Order and as a Court judgement, and that is in the public domain unless ordered otherwise. I don't think you are under any obligation as Executor to facilitate access to the will by anyone not a beneficiary or other party with a specific interest (e.g. other executors). The mother of an adult beneficiary has no interest unless she herself is a beneficiary, so you can quite legitimately tell her to pursue her own enquiries without your help.

• Confused 1