Hit by Farm Gate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi....I would apperciate any advice anyone can give on the following....

My partner was driving from our house past a neighbours property during recent inclement weather. Their farm style wooden gate flew out into the entirety of the road and my partner crashed into it demolishing the wooden gate and causing substantial damage to the car. Initial approaches to the home owner (not a farm) have not led to any admitance of liability. At the scene there was a statement by the gate owner that "I'm always telling them to secure the gate", presumably referring to other family members.

It is sunday and I am amazed that the (vehicle) insures are not contactable yet.

I should add that amazingly it is correct and true that the gate is able (was able!) to open outwards obstructing the entire single track road. Additionally it is probably not relavant, but the road is a Byway (B.O.A.T) Byway open to all traffic.

We are just a little unsure about the best way forward as we do not really want to claim on our motoring insurance as we are not at fault. Any advice much appreciated. So far we have only spoken to the neighbour, rung the motor insurer (unavailable) and have obtained a police ref number for what its worth.

You MUST advise your insurers any way seek advice from them, you cannot with hold the fact that the collision has occurred, as your car is insured by them!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I'm always telling them to secure the gate

You can take that as an admission of liability. Take some pictures etc and get a record in case it's needed later.

Why I say that is because a few years ago, a supermarket was fined for a slippery floor and they tried to get out of it by saying (and producing) one the the 'take care slippery floor' signs.

The judge said that was admission that the floor was slippery and promptly made an award to the person who slipped.

Have you checked your policy to see if there is a 24 hour helpline ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A police ref number legitimises it all.

Get a guesstimate tomorrow so you know how likely he is to just get his wallet out or tell you to go .........

Further correspondence with the farmer would be best by recorded delivery letter, but you should get in contact with your insurer as the Brigadier says, they should sort it all out for you at no cost to you.

Edited by Conniff

The lady of the gate family called at our house saying along the lines of "six of one and half a dozen of the other" I countered along the lines of "its wholly your fault" (politely!) She revealed that someone reversed into a central post or device which retains the (larger and now smashed) gate and again I consider this as good evidence of guilty concience and a failure to prevent the gate blowing in the wind. Thanks very much for all input so far.

This is a " Byway" and is subject to different rules and regs I believe. Also need to remember it's a "Farm Style" gate and not a farm gate. Rules and the regs get very, very complex so think and research first.

You'll be surprised.

It could turn out you should not have been there so make sure you are on good ground first.

Thanks Heliosuk! Yes, its all very complex and worrying but not being a Lawyer its difficult to come up with all the answers. This is a Byway OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC ('BOAT') and effectively I understand we have rights to use it equally as any other highway. It transpired that the insurers are not contactable 24hrs unless you just need recovery. We will be contacting the insurers Monday and will leave the legal complexities to them.....unless anyone else has more input! Thanks to you all again!....

At the end of the day "The Gate" has an owner who has a duty of care to the public and if the gate was insecure the owner has a liability to anyone suffering loss as a result.

Send a letter informing the owner ofthe property advising your intention to make a claim and request details of their property/contents insurers.

If my wall fell down and caused damage to a t/parties property I would be liable and my insurers would deal with it.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

The Owner is resposible no matter where it is as the oqner has a duty of care to Public and entrances to their property must be safe, or the old Post guy may have an accident etc. Third party insurance is the cover no doubt.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Thank you. Our car insurers are now involved although they don't seem very keen on pursuing the gate owner. They seem a little confused as no other car and a householder is involved. The gate owner contends that had the gate blown out into the road, the car would have side impact damage. The fact that the damage is mainly to the front (of the car) is evidence (he says) that the car was driven into the gate when it was already across the road or something along those lines. I think this will possibly now be an issue of attempting to recover the excess.

Thank you. Our car insurers are now involved although they don't seem very keen on pursuing the gate owner. They seem a little confused as no other car and a householder is involved. The gate owner contends that had the gate blown out into the road, the car would have side impact damage. The fact that the damage is mainly to the front (of the car) is evidence (he says) that the car was driven into the gate when it was already across the road or something along those lines. I think this will possibly now be an issue of attempting to recover the excess.

Insurer at this stage will be vague no doubt, as the offending item should not of been in the position it was in, in as much as the gate has caused damage to a third partys property regardless, maybe he was not too attached (excuse the pun) to it as it hinged on faulty entrance, and you have not run into a fixed gate.

He is trying to be clever, have you got Legal assistance insurance, or get 30mins interview with a solicitor for free advice.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: