We cant afford food... Please help me sort this mess

the_pest
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:mad2:MY RANT, My 19 year old daughter has now left college and started an apprenticeship earning £2.60 an hour for a 40 hour week (£104 a week) Most of which goes on travel on public transport:roll:When she was at college I got child benefit and child tax credits £80 a week and as a low earner Housing and Council tax Benefit. Now I am £80 a week worse off on income and my Housing/ Council Tax Benefit has gone down by £100 a month. Math is not my strong point but my reckoning that equates to over £400 a month worse off.

At 16/17 that’s fine if they get JSA or work they can give you housekeeping but as soon as they reach 18 and a non-dependant they are liable to pay council tax and you’ll be in exactly the same position as me.Like everyone I’m struggling with the rising costs of gas, electricity, water etc.I pay my taxes and my daughter is trying to make something of her life But we are struggling with what seems a very unfair system.:-x

Good GOD,,are people really allowed to pay £2.60 an hour?? Thats diabolical,,,and get on to the council re HB and CTB,,,that flipping stinks !!!

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

:mad2:MY RANT, My 19 year old daughter has now left college and started an apprenticeship earning £2.60 an hour for a 40 hour week (£104 a week) Most of which goes on travel on public transport:roll:When she was at college I got child benefit and child tax credits £80 a week and as a low earner Housing and Council tax Benefit. Now I am £80 a week worse off on income and my Housing/ Council Tax Benefit has gone down by £100 a month. Math is not my strong point but my reckoning that equates to over £400 a month worse off.

At 16/17 that’s fine if they get JSA or work they can give you housekeeping but as soon as they reach 18 and a non-dependant they are liable to pay council tax and you’ll be in exactly the same position as me.Like everyone I’m struggling with the rising costs of gas, electricity, water etc.I pay my taxes and my daughter is trying to make something of her life But we are struggling with what seems a very unfair system.:-x

Exactly what I have to look forward to next may when my son leaves 6th form & does an apprenticeship, & yes, I have worked out it'll be about 400 pounds a month down too. Doing my best right now to get debts down to maybe a couple of hundred pounds by then. But even with the normal expenses every household has, ie utility/food bills, I will have more going out than coming in, eeeek. Not sure what to do because even if I get an evening job, they tax you more & you lose more from housing benefit etc, so no better off? what to do? :\

Good GOD,,are people really allowed to pay £2.60 an hour?? Thats diabolical,,,and get on to the council re HB and CTB,,,that flipping stinks !!!

Yep perfectly legal and for that wage they expect her to have a car to be able to travel for work and training. OK so she is reimbursed but not for the £1400 year car insurance,tax or maintenance. And she says "dont worry Mum it will go up to £4.68 when Im 20" :???:

Am I missiing a point here? Food is a problem yet you still have broadband..................Please make me understand 'cause I'm very confused......

No WE dont have braodband my nextdoor neighbour does and he thankfull lets me tap into it for job hunting etc...some people do care enought to help :-) btw the laptop i use is also one of his old ones

Also as regards selling thing yes already gone down this road...anything worth anything has been sold to put gas, elect n food on the table... :sad:

but as i said thing seem to be looking up so thanks to thoses who tryed to help and set me on the right path x

Edited by the_pest

You could try for a second adult rebate on your council tax but if your still able to get a reductions on your own income they wont give both!!

But surely second adult rebate is applied for (and is for) the adult child and not the adult who pays the council tax?

No WE dont have braodband my nextdoor neighbour does and he thankfull lets me tap into it for job hunting etc...some people do care enought to help :-) btw the laptop i use is also one of his old ones

Also as regards selling thing yes already gone down this road...anything worth anything has been sold to put gas, elect n food on the table... :sad:

but as i said thing seem to be looking up so thanks to thoses who tryed to help and set me on the right path x

I would have sold my soul to the devil (and did a few times) to put food on the table,,and kicking someone when they are already down is a low blow

I'm now able to afford internet,,and yes,,I let my neighbour piggyback it,,same as she provided me with bog roll when I had none and a ciggy in need (yeah I smoke so shoot me lol) She and I battled together ,scraping pennies together,never going out,charity shop provided some damn good clothes..our kids didn't go without cos we didn't let them.

The evenings are lonely enough,with just a TV for company..the internet provides us with a world of knowledge and the ability for interaction with others without constantly worrying about cash !! Good on ya pesty.xx

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

I am on ESA and do not have much in my life, I do not smoke or drink, but my computer is my link to the outside world.

It has helped me on so many occasions.

I'm the same, I leave the house about once every two months - if that, internet is my lifeline.

I also think on this forum its important not to judge people who come here for help. We should offer help or stay silent. There are plenty of other forums people can go to for advice on moneysaving (one prominent one with plenty of judgemental people).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I'm the same, I leave the house about once every two months - if that, internet is my lifeline.

I also think on this forum its important not to judge people who come here for help. We should offer help or stay silent. There are plenty of other forums people can go to for advice on moneysaving (one prominent one with plenty of judgemental people).

Estellyn,,I have watched you on this forum with great interest,,your advice is invaluable,you are always kind,and you give such a lot of your time helping people from the beginning of their problem to the end,,it would be a crying shame if you didn't have the internet :)

Lillibelle

Estellyn,,I have watched you on this forum with great interest,,your advice is invaluable,you are always kind,and you give such a lot of your time helping people from the beginning of their problem to the end,,it would be a crying shame if you didn't have the internet :)

Aww thanks! Being able to help also helps me too, psychologically, so not totally altruistic. :-)

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Aww thanks! Being able to help also helps me too, psychologically, so not totally altruistic. :-)

It's good to keep the old grey matter active..I challenge myself regularly..at present I am researching Tudor England for part of an OU qualification and considering writing a recipe book (am chef by trade before illness got me).

Lillibelle

... Good on ya pesty.xx

Think that neatly sums up my feelings as well.

... Being able to help also helps me too, psychologically, so not totally altruistic. :-)

Indeed. My view is a simple one. I'm unable to work and so my existence is kindly funded by the tax payer. Giving what little advice and help I am able to, on here and elsewhere, is how I repay the generosity of our society. That way, like many of us, I'm not taking something for nothing, I'm paying back in kind. :-)

• Confused 1

I apologise the Pest I was very out of order last night!! :oops: I did my homework today and yes Broadband is on the list of essentials. Things have really changed in 6 years, I'm amazed. I will in the future, check my points before gassing off. I hope you can forgive me.

Yes Yes, I'm weird. I tried being normal once, was the most boring 5 minutes of my life!:madgrin:

Dieselilly,,I didn't know it was on the list either,,but so pleased it is,,as I can see from comments on here already,it's a lifeline.I'm disabled,can't do a lot really.have a house ,OH family etc,,but they get boring to talk to,,and as I go to bed early (to give them all a break from me so they can have a beer or watch stuff on tv that would bore me) my laptop is my bit of escapism :)

Lillibelle

Diesellily, you're only human. And a good one indeed to both admit an error and wish to learn from it. :hug:

WOW promotion to "Human" thats a first! :shock: No seriously, I really am sorry to 'The Pest' and appreciate anyone still talking to me.

Yes Yes, I'm weird. I tried being normal once, was the most boring 5 minutes of my life!:madgrin:

I apologise the Pest I was very out of order last night!! :oops: I did my homework today and yes Broadband is on the list of essentials. Things have really changed in 6 years, I'm amazed. I will in the future, check my points before gassing off. I hope you can forgive me.

That's much appreciated, thank you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I get a variety of benefits,,i have a blue badge,I have a Motability car.I have already been thru the system for the new benefits and encountered no problems but I do have a long term disability that can only get worse,,so I feel guilty when I read of everyones genuine problems and I keep my gob shut when the good people on here are helping those that are having issues,,it's heartbreaking..but there are people out there and on forums like this that seem hell bent on finding out how to fiddle the benefit system as they think they have the God given right not to work and all seem to have very similar symptoms :roll: Give the genuine claimants everything they deserve and let the ones who SHOULD be seeking work the tools to find jobs and not make it so easy to sit on their bums :)

Lillibelle

Not a prob hunni x and theres nothing to forgive x also any spare gas send my way lol..i can use it to cook hehehe.

Things are on the up here at the mo benifits reduced my payments back to them for the crissis loan and also have had child ben n child tax re calculated as both lads are now in full time education again...one son has a placement on a the Rathbone scheme and is chuffed to monkeys...all down to you guys giving info that lead to this so many many ty's to all x

Edited by the_pest

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks