Bank charges on unknown overdraft

Mankens
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Whilst a student and unemployed I ordered some books from Amazon. On Amazon the website retains your card details. I hadn’t used my old account for a while and when I bought the books it asked me did I want to make a payment with the saved card information and I said yes not knowing it had retained my old details.

I believed the card to be my student account card, because my other personal account card had been inactive for several months and I know longer used it.

During this time I moved and changed address.

I didn’t inform my bank because it was one of those things; I never got round to it and in actual fact forgot about the account entirely as I didn’t use it. It was only when I got a letter claiming I owed £700 in overdraft fees did I know anything about it.

I complained that this was ridiculous, as my bank account had no money in it when I purchased the books, why was it processed, it should have been denied. How can you possibly pay for something when you have no money in your account? It was explained to me that it was in my contract, please bear in mind I had this account from the age of 12 years old and never signed anything after this age, that I could take money from the bank, when there was no money in my account, and I would receive penalty fares.

As I knew nothing about the over-draft penalty the overdraft was allowed to mount up to £700 by which time they then decided to freeze my account. They asked for the money to be re-paid but as a student who was unemployed this was not possible and so I began repaying the money to CLS at £5.00 a month.

I’m still repaying this money years later and I wonder is this was legal? To charge £700 in overdraft fees when I had never agreed to have an overdraft in the first place.

Thanks

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Was there a period of 6 years where no money was paid to this account ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Also, what age were you when you bought the books?