Second hand car fault after 1 day - where do i stand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought a second hand car from a trader on sat morning (1/9/12). I have driven about 180 miles in it yesterday (sunday 2/9/12) and noticed a noise like the exhaust is blowing.

I have phoned the trader this morning about the problem and he said "..the car was MOT'd on Friday and the exhaust would have been picked up then if there was a problem then"

He has given me the details of the garage where some work was done on the car before collection (including a rattle from the exhaust), which I think is the same garage that did the MOT.

I am taking the car to them this afternoon so they can have a look to see what the problem is.

Where do I stand here? I believe the trader should sort this out at no cost to me as lasting 1 day and 180 miles is not really a reasonable amount of time.

Anybody help?

You are right.

Keep a log of everything that happens or that is said. Take photos.

Second hand car fault after 1 day - where do i stand
I would love to say 'at the bus stop', but I don't suppose that would go down very well. :DAs above and if you have problems with him not fixing it, the eaiest way forward after all the pre protocol letters would be to get the job done and bill him, non payment can then be through the on line small claims - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

• 2 months later...
I would love to say 'at the bus stop', but I don't suppose that would go down very well. :DAs above and if you have problems with him not fixing it, the eaiest way forward after all the pre protocol letters would be to get the job done and bill him, non payment can then be through the on line small claims [/url]

Hi Conniff

Just on a side note about Small Claims - If, for arguments sake, I pay £100 for a repair and need to reclaim this through Small Claims, would the cost of actually claiming not be more thus making the whole process counter productive? Or can you claim for £100 + costs?

Thanks!!