Sky Landline not Working

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice.............

I have SkyTalk and, this morning, went to call my mum rang the number and got nothing.

Tried ringing the landline from my mobile - got nothing.

Found a number for Sky that would not be charged from my mobile phone and spoke to (I assume from the time of day) one of their out of hours staff.

They ran a line check and told me there was nothing wrong with it.

Then he asked me to try plugging a different phone into the socket and use it to try ringing out - he seemed surprised that I don't have a second handset lying around!! So then he asked me to unplug the phone and anything else in the socket (only the broadband) and put the phone directly into the socket.

When I had done this he tried ringing the landline - no ringing at this end, he had put me on hold so I've no idea what (if anything) he could hear at the time.

Then he tells me that the only things they can do now is have me put another phone on the line while they try ringing it (ignoring the bit above where I don't have another phone to plug in) or I can have an engineer come out and check the line but, if there is no problem in their opinion, then I will be charged a call out fee (though they can't tell me how much that fee is - which is surely a set charge?).

I simply can't afford this so have refused - as I've only just started a new job I can't even afford to buy a new handset at the moment after more than a year on benefits).

I wonder if it's really right that they would hear ringing when they ring me but my mobile won't even connect to the number?

Also, I wonder if there might be a problem with the line that they can't see on a simple line check?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Feebee_71

It is normal for them to suggest using a different phone... all phone providers ask this. You do need to make sure the phone you have is actually working to eliminate this as the cause of the fault. I know it seems daft to have a spare phone floating about at home, but I have a cheap £10 corded phone as a back up, useful if you have cordless (these will not work in a power cut).

Thanks Oscar - I'm going to see what I can find when I'm out shopping today (on what limited funds I've got until I get paid from this new job) or it will have to be a trip to Kempton Market next week and see what I can buy there for as little as possible!!

Feebee_71

Depending on how old the socket is, it might be a "master socket" where if you have wired extensions to it, taking the faceplate off reveals another socket that connects directly to the incoming phone lines with nothing else attached ...

If you try another (tested and working) handset directly in the master socket and get no joy, then the problem is with your line. Have you tried phoning your landline from your mobile? Leave your mobile next to a radio or TV, Dial your landline, then pickup the landline handset and see if you get anything. Try this with 2 handsets then you have really eliminated everything.

The reason they want to do all these tests is actually for your benefit. If the problem is with the BT line, BT have to fix it for free, however if the problem is with your equipment (landline / extension cables / broadband filter) then the bill will come to you. (Around £130 call out charge). BT are responsible for the line all the way into your house and to the "master socket". Anything after the master socket is your responsibility, so Sky are right, lets eliminate this 1st.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Morning all,

A new day and a positive development.

spoke to another technical department staff member as, when I tried ringing my house from my parents, it was there was a fault!!

I bought a cheap handset (under £5) from Tesco and, when I got home, tried it only to find there WAS now a dial tone. Plugged the digital phone back in and that too was working. So it appears there was something wrong with the line that has now resolved itself!!

Thanks for all the advice and input!!

Feebee_71