Bank transfers between strangers?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Without passwords and other security information there's not a lot they can do with just the sort code and account number except pay money in. I use this as a method of receiving payments all the time and have never had any trouble.

What is the payment for? Is it ebay or similar?

• 2 weeks later...

Totally incorrect advice. You can still be the victim of fraud with just these two items of information. One is most notably DD fraud and is increasing on a large scale. A ordinary person why struggle to do this but a 3rd party company could. For example someone could apply for a service and state they want to pay by DD and there are no checks on this and simply goes through.

Granted in this example there is the DD guarantee to fall back on but the inconvenience etc. Then again it could be a small amount and some people dont notice.

As with anything use extreme caution

I always stand to be corrected.

Thank you for that information Transient.

So what your saying is sending a cheque is a real no no as it has acc number, sort code AND signature?

Also sending bank details could be risky if the recipient decided to pay for a service as they could use just the acc number and sort code to do this?

Could these details be used for anything else without further security checks?

Hi freaky, I should have clarified a bit more.

This blog from earlier this year is pretty conclusive

http://cliffordmillerlaw.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/natwest-direct-debit-[problem]/

Then there is the infamous Jeremy Clarkson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574781/Jeremy-Clarkson-eats-his-words-over-ID-theft.html

In answer to some of your questions cheques are being withdrawn but yes the same information could be harvested, the signatures although we would deem important are not checked by the banks anymore except when something is queried by the account holder, it is pretty much automated.

These details could not really be used for much more however if you are in contact with the other party you will no doubt have some information on them based on the way you are commuinicating, namely phone number or email addy and home addy if sending the item.. This in turn could be used to search google,, FB, twitter etc and you can then glean more info and build a fuller picture. Just as with anything excercise caution and more importantly of all check your statements weekly at a maximum

A Prime example on how to do it with a 3rd party

https://secure.savethechildren.org.uk/donate/

If you fill out the details the only confirmation to submit the DD is to confirm the link in the email, which you could have setup before. Try a dummy run

Another thing people have done is to setup their car insurance on others accounts and names and then made a fraudulent claim against the insurance

Edited by transient
more info

Thanks again Transient.

I will be having words with the bank soon. I was told by a "Business banking advisor" that DD's and standing orders could not be set up with those details alone.

You would think I would know better by now than to trust the banks.:roll:

Can the transaction not be done by PayPal ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The sale is not through an auction site or similar.

If the 2 people concerned have paypal accounts then it can be done that way.

Personally I think there is still a risk with PP as apparently you can recall the money even when it's been deposited in your PP acc.

The sale is not through an auction site or similar.

If the 2 people concerned have paypal accounts then it can be done that way.

Personally I think there is still a risk with PP as apparently you can recall the money even when it's been deposited in your PP acc.

I believe when it is sent as a gift payment this cannot be recalled unless the card has been used unauthorised. There is also the chargeback element

Thanks again Transient.

Having done some extensive research into the safety of various forms of payment I am happy to say that your description of my advice being "Totally incorrect advice" is harsh to say the least.

Although there are examples of some fraudulent activity arising from handing out this information there is also a whole lot of information to say how safe bacs and bank transfer's are.

The cliffordmillerlaw blog you mention is basically a rant about DD's not being cancelled and the trouble you can have with some banks in cancelling a dd. But he is talking about DD's set up legitimately in the first place.

The Jeremy Carkson example does highlight the fact that there are many companies who will accept DD set up without a signature.No doubt this will be changed in the future.

Paypal payments, however they are sent, gift, money owed etc, can be recalled apparently. I've just done it.

As with most things in life there is always going to be an element of risk and I would suggest weighing up the pro's and con's of all payment methods and going with the one you think is the safest. I specifically asked my Bank for advice on the safety of bank transfers and Bacs and was told the risk was negligible.

I personally have accepted and made payments using bank transfer for years and have NEVER had any problems.

There are so many links I could post here to highlight how widely used and trusted BT's seem to be but I don't see the point as there will always be someone who'll dig out an an example of the opposite.

I suppose cash in the hand is fail-safe. As long as you get a receipt. Oh and make sure if it's a stranger that knows you'll be carrying cash that you have someone with you................etc etc