Faulty phone (and run around) ***Resolved***

sparx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My sister bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830i) from the O2 shop in my home town back in May. Just after she got it, texts and calls appeared to be failing and the network would just "drop" - we thought this was down to the sim card being faulty and got a new one sent out. After some kerfuffle with that (an unprovisioned sim being sent, approx 21 days later got a working one) the phone was doing the same.

Returned to the store and phone booked in for repair - however phone did exactly the same when it was returned.

On second return to store they booked it in for a replacement (refurb), however my sister then received an S5830 (notice the missing I) - this Galaxy Ace was the original model, with a slightly lower spec than the new one (S5830i)! Contacted the store and they again booked it in for replacement, however they've now turned round and said that they have no new Galaxy Ace's to replace the phone with.

Any thoughts guys?

Hi sparx

If it's Visa Debit, contact your Card Provider, ask to do a Chargeback. Make some notes before you call them so you can explain the 'run around'.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

Let us know what they say.

By debit card in full.

I'll get my sister to phone/go into the bank tomorrow.

I was considering going down the route of "Faulty Goods - Non acceptance" as the fault showed up in the first 28 days, but since we've allowed them to repair/replace it I don't think that'd hold.

Lets see what they say, then we still have other options.

I'll get my sister to phone/go into the bank tomorrow.

I was considering going down the route of "Faulty Goods - Non acceptance" as the fault showed up in the first 28 days, but since we've allowed them to repair/replace it I don't think that'd hold.

My thoughts are that if it's faulty & after the first 28 days then they should repair or replace (their choice) and if they can't do either offer an alternative that's mutually acceptable or a refund (your choice)

My sister has not yet had time to go to the bank, however thinking things through would a chargeback not be overkill? The phone included £10 airtime which is separate from the phone (although applied automatically), and if charged back we'd get the entire £140 back - would we not open ourselves up for legal action if we did this?

I've just written an email to the CEO, so we'll see where that goes.

Phone purchased: 14th May 2012.

First repair: 2nd July 2012.

First replacement (which has a camera fault causing it to be unusable to take pictures): 30th July 2012.

Second replacement: ~15th August 2012 (The store still has this one)

My sister has not yet had time to go to the bank, however thinking things through would a chargeback not be overkill? The phone included £10 airtime which is separate from the phone (although applied automatically), and if charged back we'd get the entire £140 back - would we not open ourselves up for legal action if we did this?

Only if you didn't pay when they asked for it ... their first response wouldn't be a court claim for a tenner unless they wanted the action being kicked out as an abuse of process. Actually for a tenner that you could claim was due as compensation & your costs most likely they would do nothing

The clock is ticking with regards to a Chargeback. If you feel you want to return £10 to them, that's fine, get the £140 first. You've tried everything to sort the problem out, it's ongoing do a Chargeback.

I've just written an email to the CEO, so we'll see where that goes.

Phone purchased: 14th May 2012.

First repair: 2nd July 2012.

First replacement (which has a camera fault causing it to be unusable to take pictures): 30th July 2012.

Second replacement: ~15th August 2012 (The store still has this one)

The clock is ticking with regards to a Chargeback. If you feel you want to return £10 to them, that's fine, get the £140 first. You've tried everything to sort the problem out, it's ongoing do a Chargeback.

Email to the CEO resulted in a phone call, and a replacement phone with a £60+ value over the original (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2). Fingers crossed that this phone won't have the same issues as the original.

Still not impressed with the store staff, but impressed with O2 Executive relations (even though we're not actually using their network!).