Bailiff charging first visit fee's - Reply from bailiff - what to do next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just a new thread as the old one dried up.

Basically, I have a case with bristow and sutor for unpaid council tax, which I am willing to pay for in full, but can't get my head around why they are charging me for 3 first time visits, when they have only been once. There are 3 seperate cases but they are dealing with them all together, I only have one reference number.

Heres a breakdown of the charges:

Amount owed - 97.89

1st visit fee - 24.50

levy fee - 24.50

Council tax property 2:

Amount owed - 187.82

1st visit fee - 24.50

levy fee - 29.00

Council tax 3:

Amount owed - 186.59

1st visit fee - 24.50

levy fee - 29.00

Anyway, I sent a letter questioning them, and got this reply:

Dear Sir,

RE: Outstanding Council Tax due to Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council

We write with reference to the above and confirm receipt of your recent email

We would respectfully advise when we attended on 18.05.12 this was our first visit and so the first visit fee of £24.50 was applied to each of your liability orders, as they are three separate accounts we can charge a fee for each and refer you to the back of the Notice of seizure of Goods were the fees are outlined. We then attended your property again on 31.07.12 where our levy was made and fees were applied to your accounts for this also, we can charge this in addition to a first visit fee and again refer you to the Notice of seizure of goods were this is also stated.

We are currently in the process of confirming with the DVLA who the vehicle belongs to if we confirm you are not the registered owner then the levy fees will be reviewed. Please note the Council are aware of what fees can be charged and our procedures.

Finally we are prepared to allow until 20.08.12 for a proposal of payment to be received in our offices to be reviewed.

Failure to comply will result in further recovery action being taken against you for which any additional costs incurred you will be liable for.

Yours Faithfully,

Miss L Green Recovery Officer

Are they correct, don't really know where to turn next.

Thanks so much guys.

if you are going to pay it in full do so direct to council

l that way liability orders will be satisfied,they can then play on the nearest motorway

think you could question there reply to fees first visit then second visit 2 months later

if need be pay £24.50 plus the £18.00 to the council

i payed my last amount direct to council with no bailiff fees disappointing they have not been back :fencing:

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

bailiffs can only visit twice - get to cab and contast the fees - they can make up what they like - dont let them in and dont leave windows open - oh and dont worry - get help

bailiffs can visit as many times as they want for council tax

there is just first and second visit fees where no levy taken place regardless of the amount of times they visit before they give up

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Pay direct to council and inform them that as all three debts were enforced on the same day, only one visit fee is payable as per Leeds CC v Throssel 1993 referring to the judgment of D.J. Advent:

Detailed Assessment Judgment of Throssell v Leeds City Council where the District Judge ruled as follows:

“Turning to the taxation it seems to me that notwithstanding the fact that there were three liability orders but one visit was made by one bailifflink3.giflink3.gif and the maximum that the Council’s reasonable charges can be is the result of applying the formula contained in Schedule 5 paragraph 2 (1) (b) of the Regulations”

They cannot charge three visit fees on the same day.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cheers for replies. Yes that was my other thread, but started a new one as it dried up. Im waiting for a response from council so will update then. I am going to pay the council what i owe them, so atleast they will be happy. Thanks again