Car Windowscreen replacement - Insurer Issues

george99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

8months ago I purchased a 4year old Jaguar XKR from a Jaguar main dealer and tried to move the insurance over from my old X300 Jag to the new (4yo) XKR. The broker (Footman James) told me that I could not use the old insurer as it had been on a "classic insurance policy", and gave me a quotation (from Royal Sun Alliance) which I had to accept at the time (of £3,000pa which I paid in full).

I also had an extended warranty from Jaguar - which still has 4months to run at the time of writing this.

Stone damage to to the window-screen means that it needed replacement but the insurance company (Royal Sun Alliance) is refusing to use the manufacturers part to replace the windows-screen with (which is heated and has sensors built into the glass controlling the automatic rain wipers).

If I accept this non-manufacturer part then this will void my extended warranty. If I sell this car back to the dealership and it does not have manufacturers fitted parts it could cost me a bundle - if they agree to take it on?

I'm furious that with a full-comp £3,000 policy that I'm having problems of this nature.

Before I take this further - perhaps to the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club (as I'm a member) is there anything else I can do?

Speak to the Jaguar warranty people, as my understanding is that it will not affect the warranty. I believe it is only mechnical parts which would do this. If you go to Autoglass for example, they will order a replacement windscreen that will perform exactly or near to how the Jaguar windscreen performed. Speak to the authorised windcreen company that RSAL use and they will be able to advise on what windscreen they can offer. RSAL will not pay for the windscreen to be replaced by Jaguar.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Why wont RSA use the original part? They must use the OEM, not a clone.

I have had a few windscreens replaced, including heated ones and on a japanese import it had to come from japan as none in europe! had to wait three weeks and they supplied a courtesy car as I could not legaly use my car as the crack was in driver zone. only cost me the £60 excess each time.

Why wont RSA use the original part? They must use the OEM, not a clone.

I have had a few windscreens replaced, including heated ones and on a japanese import it had to come from japan as none in europe! had to wait three weeks and they supplied a courtesy car as I could not legaly use my car as the crack was in driver zone. only cost me the £60 excess each time.

It will probably be the same. It will just be Autoglass fitting it and not Jaguar, but at a price significantly cheaper to RSAL. I have had windscreens fitted with heated elements, without issue. Hence why they should speak to Autoglass or whoever RSAL use.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the non standard should only affect the warranty for the windscreen, not in total.

Jaguar as just being a pain, if they are going to give you hassle over a windscreen that doesn;t have the jag stamp, then really you should be going to a different dealership. Your venting this at the wrong people, the insurer is quite right to either use their own dealer or only pay upto what it would cost them.

OP said they want to use non OEM part!! which should no be correct, or have I read it wrong?

Insurers will only allow their ( contracted ) repairer to fit though, or give you minimal amount if you use somebody else.