After 5 and a half years of running it's time deal with this once and for all.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At the age of 22 a fair few years ago now I was offered a vast amount of credit (32K in total) by many different companies. I know that these debts are mine and tried to deal with them at the time but in all honesty rang up a DCA and she was so rude i told her to swivel and ignored the problem ever since.

I have 6 County Court Judgements entered against me but 4 of these are from Severn Trent for relatively small amounts.

1) One is a big one to Barclays bank 12.5 K i've not heard anything from them for years or made a payment to them. Im not sure what to do? I know i need to start chipping away against the debt but if i poke the beast will they try and make me bankrupt?

2) I have recently been approached by Lowell Portfolio regarding 3 debts offering me 75% off of 5k Barclays Loan , 75% off of a Severn Trent bill of £666 which isnt showing on my credit file. I've made a payment for £60 so will only have to pay another 10 weeks for it to be cleared, 25% off a barclays current account of 1208 with an arrangement to pay £40.00 a month off starting next week.

The only thing i've had in writing is the offer letters? and they have said verbally they will record it as partially settled any advice?

3) I'm tempted to approach the other companies i owe money to (all of which have sold the debt to debt collection agencies to try and strike up a repayment plan with them? Or would i be better off waiting 6 months when it will be 6 years from the original default. I do want to clear these debts but if i can reduce my cash outlay i'd like to.

Thank you

Kev

Just let sleeping dogs lie.

Ordinarily I would say that everyone should pay their bills but in circumstances such as this,

it may make unable to obtain any type of credit for a further six years.

I say this because you won't know exactly what these creditors or debt collection agencies are going to update your credit file with.

Whilst there are ICO and FOS guidelines for how this information is shown, the rules are so slack that

they have virtual carte blanche on what they put.

They. An do things such as change the default dates, put another default after the original has fallen off,

show arrangements to pay after the default - all of these are things that should not be done but they are

the whole credit reference system in the UK is a complete mess and not legislated correctly.

Be careful of anything you do with these people and anything you agree should be in writing.

Im due to have a payment come out of my account next week, and they also have my debit card details...

And never give them your card details - sme of these companies have been known to take additional unagreed amounts out at their will. I would cancel the card and account if I were you. Wait till the six months have passed. Then get all three of your credit fies and look at what is there.

firstly never pay anything on a discounted debt

stop those payments and tell you bank you card security has been compromised

anyone offering a discount knows they have no chance in court

for fear of a counter claim.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

why?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Im due to have a payment come out of my account next week, and they also have my debit card details...

As above, call your card issuer, tell them your card details have been exposed, you need to place a stop on the card with immediate effect.

If you have set up any Direct Debit facilities on your Bank account, cancel these immediately via online/telephone banking.

DCA's have been known in the past to empty bank accounts using the above, they will not care one iota if you have no food/electric/rent etc.

If you ever have to pay a DCA, only ever pay via Standing Order, that way, you are in complete control.

From Post #1

The only thing i've had in writing is the offer letters? and they have said verbally they will record it as partially settled any advice?

Stay off of the telephone, only ever communicate in writing, if they phone you, refuse to go through the security questions and say "in writing only" and hang up.

A DCA employee will say anything to get a payment including that the moon is made of green cheese!

They are on a very basic salary with a commission top up hence the lies, intimidation, threats etc.

You need everything in writing before committing to anything.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Make sure there are no Continuous Payment Authorities on the account. DCa's LOVE to exploit the use of these, so if you cancel all other methods, chances are youll never think about a CPA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D