Purchased a car showing as hpi clear. Now have a finance company contacting me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

After some advice really and ive seen a few threads linked to this site so thought i would give it a try

In march 2012 i purchased a car for the sum of £6300 from a seller on EBAY, he had good feedback etc.

So the story goes

Phoned the guy to check condition, mileage etc. asked if the car was hpi clear to which he replied yes. Didnt want to take his word for it as it was alot of money so carried out a hpi check at £20 showing the car to be clear of all checks including finance and insurance write off.

Went to veiw the car and payed cash for it there and then, drove it back as the guy was still covered insurance wise.

On tuesday this week whilst i was out a guy working for a company called northwest collections and recoveries droped an envelope through the door with a note to call him and a questionnaire. On wednesday i gave the guy a call and he explained to me that the car is on a hpi agreement with a previous owner. I informed him of the situation and that ive carried out a hpi etc with proof and he advised me to fill out the questionnaire and return it back with all the details and has said that i have done everyhting i could to check it was a clean car to buy so shouldnt have anything to worry about

NWRC are working on behalf of a company called Bluestone credit managemnt who have bought the debt from SANTANDER. group. Bluestone have refused to give me a copy of the finance agreement even with the name and address of the person the agreement is with.

Where do i stand in regards to this?

From what i understand as im an innocent purchaser and i have done everything i could to prove the car was free from debt before i purchased it, i have good title over the vehicle and the finance house cannot make a claim against me or the vehicle. As added strength i have since carried out an additional hpi check thorugh the RAC website that also states VIN and VRM clear from any history.

Shall i return the questionnaire and return with both hpi checks and the bill of sale i got or should i seek further legal advice?

Many thanks Steve

Yes OP you are correct. If you bought the car in good faith thne you will get title to it.

That is the law.

Don't fill out any quetionnaires, you are not obliged to do so.

If you want to you could send a brief explanatory letter to them together with a copy of the purchase invoice and make it clear you oown the car and will not enter into further correspondence.

PS The expection to the above is if it's a 'log book' loan.

It's unlikely to be a logbook loan with companies such as Santander and Bluestone involved. Santander do a lot of the HP financing for Vauxhall and Bluestone are the credit management company used when GMAC do their own financing.

It's unlikely to be a logbook loan with companies such as Santander and Bluestone involved. Santander do a lot of the HP financing for Vauxhall and Bluestone are the credit management company used when GMAC do their own financing.

Yes I know but it might help someone else who does havea log book loan outstanding on a car they bought in good faith and sees this thread - in that case they WOULD lose the car.

• 2 months later...

Hello

I would also like to know the outcome of this, this has just happened to me, exactly what has happened here! Except mine is a £20,000 Audi Q7.!

Sorry this has happened to you mate. Proper feels like youve let your partner down doesnt it.!

**** of the earth theses mongrals!

What look have you had?

:-x

Yes OP you are correct. If you bought the car in good faith thne you will get title to it.

That is the law.

Don't fill out any quetionnaires, you are not obliged to do so.

If you want to you could send a brief explanatory letter to them together with a copy of the purchase invoice and make it clear you oown the car and will not enter into further correspondence.

Without wishing to throw a spanner in the works here, could you post the specific law on this, as my understanding is that the car will always be the property of the finance company until paid in full, and the OP will lose the car.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

loads of links online, this took 5 seconds, down the bottom of the page

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/consumer-law/hire-purchase-agreement.htm

What happens if I bought a car of another which was subject to a hire purchase agreement?

According to the Hire Purchase Act a buyer of a car, which is still subject to a hire purchase agreement, will get good title to the car if the following conditions are met:

• The buyer did not know that the car was under hire purchase therefore buying the car in good faith believing the seller had the right to sell it
  • The buyer is a private buyer and not a dealer or a finance company

the buyer must have taken steps to believe that it was free from finance. which you did by doing an HPI check.

the finance company neglected to register the vehicle as financed. so only have themselves to blame

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.