Access to property by Landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a landlord of one residential property. This is my first post and concerns my right of access to the property for the purposes of inspection and to discuss other issues with tenant. I have read the sticky regarding Landlord access and this really does not help as it primarily concentrates on the rights of the tenant. My situation is that I live a considerable distance from the property and have employed a management agent. The agents are basically incompetent and my relationship with them is deteriorating sharply. They receive rent payments and don’t forward them to me. I do not believe this is a dishonesty issue rather it is general incompetence. They managed to visit and inspect the property -once after I had nagged them to do so – which went OK but I never received a report it seems I pay them a fee and they do nothing. Is there a professional association that I can complain to? :|

The tenant does not reply to mail and does not answer the door.:-o

I have read the advice that repeated access to the property by the landlord is unacceptable and should not happen. I am not trying to do this, far from it. I have informed the tenant of my intention to visit and given them more than a months’ notice - I have received no reply. The agent has also supposedly written to the tenant and I have heard nothing back. I have mailed a final letter stating the day and time that I will visit and asking if this is convenient - stating that if I receive no reply I will assume that it is OK.:?:

Having travelled half way across the country and then to find that there is no answer from the tenant - do I have a right to enter the property?:|

I have tried to do everything reasonable in the matter. The tenant is generally OK but there are some arrears issues and maintenance issues that need sorting.

As I see that most of the posts are with regard to the unacceptable behaviour of landlords I have tried to be as patient as possible but this seems to be getting me know where. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:???:

Unfortunately residential letting agents are a very mixed bunch, ranging from the good to the incompetent and downright criminal, although they can choose to join the Association of Residential Letting Agents if they qualify.

As landlord though, as long as it's not excessive (which would depend on your requirement for access), you only need to give 24 hours' notice of entry, unless the Tenancy Agreement says more. Obviously out of courtesy you should try to give more, as you have done, be careful not to crash in, and come back an hour later if they're having dinner or whatever, but it is your property and your right of entry.

Many thanks. I am trying to be as reasonable as possible. It would not be so bad if I lived in the same town but having to travel a considerable distance and at considerable expense is a bit of a nightmare.

I usually try to be at the property at least once a year. Thanks again for hte advice.

As you are a landlord, suggest you try the Landlordzone site which deals with your particular side of things and may help in the future.

just be careful, if you have keys and they have not changd the locks. entering without the tenat being present can lead to other problems!