style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bank and or employer refs also can be done.

Oh I see you work for the council you are renting from.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Personally I think you are barking mad to move from social housing to private rented. Private rented is full of pitfalls, bad landlords, no long term security and getting back on the social housing list will be almost impossible.

I appreciate that maybe you want more variety and possibly a better area but make sure you make a really informed decision

• Confused 1

That has been mentioned to me a few times but my current living situation needs a drastic change, and the only way I can see that happening is private renting. I've been put back on the bidding system but having a job doesn't seem to change anything, in fact, my bidding points went down.

If I was to go down the renting route, would you suggest looking at independent landlords rather than going through agents?

Thanks

Unless the independent LL is a little sus they are likely to look even closer to protect their interests.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Personally I think you are barking mad to move from social housing to private rented. Private rented is full of pitfalls, bad landlords, no long term security and getting back on the social housing list will be almost impossible.

I appreciate that maybe you want more variety and possibly a better area but make sure you make a really informed decision

That's what i was thinking too !

I've tried that in the past but seems most people mess you about, especially after the last one I went to visit.

To be honest, I don't want to be in council accommodation.

Why dont you want to be in council accommodation then ? at least you have security in your tenancy.

Moving to private sector,big mistake

Standard AST, s21 after 6 months, No vaults Eviction

Most people would give there right arm for council tenancy...

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Lack of choice, experiences with the tenants (I've lived in social housing all my Life).

If it came to it, I could move back to my mothers house.

But I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakdown living on an estate, which is where it's going to be.

My current home is on a nice private road but my neighbour who is also a council tenant shows that you can't take the council estate mentality away regardless of where you live.

You get good a bad everywhere, but council estates even more so.

You're not going to thank me for this, but we gave up our social housing for reasons very similar to you 10 years ago. Out of all of the silly, irresponsible things that I've done in my life (and there's been plenty, I can assure you), that was the most foolish of them all. It quite literally changed the course of our life and not for the better.

In ten years, we've found ourselves out of a home through no fault of our own on 3 separate occasions, and on one of those occasions were left with three weeks to find somewhere to live (long story). On all of those occasions, we never got a penny back of our deposit because the landlord was either bust or bent or both, and even on the occasion we actually took court action it made no difference because nobody can give you money they don't have. I have spent thousands of pounds repairing (See: Landlord broke, no hot water or heating in the middle of winter) and decorating other people's houses. We've paid a non-refundable security deposit to a letting agent only to have the landlord withdraw because he changed his mind and wanted to sell the house without tenants in-situ, and one of our landlords practically stalked us for the entire time we lived in his property.

There have been good landlords (2 of 'em in fact, and we were in those houses for 3 years apiece without a minute of concern), but that doesn't compensate for accidentally finding out that your landlord hasn't told his mortgage company that he's letting his property and they're repossessing the house in less than a month. The most recent incident was our current landlord instructing his agents to issue a section 21 because he wanted his property back, then withdrawing it after a week and a half, the same day I was due to pay £190 in referencing fees to another agent!

The short version is that we had to move 3 times in 3 years with very little notice, and we've never recovered from that financially.

I would give my right arm to get back into social/council housing but it's never going to happen now. I would very, very strongly urge you to reconsider.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Thanks for posting this. Quite scary really, the amount of risk is high and sounds like you've had quite the experience! Are you still currently renting?

The issue I have is I feel at risk at my current home, car has been damaged, threatening behavior etc. Can't really wait to go up/down the housing lists. I had been put on the bidding list but when I started working, my points went down by around 90 points! And even with the points I was getting nowhere near.

The good thing is my mother has a spare room if ever I found myself homeless, of course this doesn't make up for the money lost as you've experienced.

Another thing is being in council housing has always made me feel like I depend too much on the system. It may give me a more secure future but I don't plan on staying here for long.

Again, I appreciate your post.

I am sorry you feel that you can not take the council house mentality out of a council estate. Believe me you can and do and find it in even the "nicest" of neighborhoods. Bad neighbours are not just in council houses alas.

Now this may sound very harsh and judgmental and I am sorry if it's not true, but do you have a feeling that you are "too good" to live in a council house? I sincerely hope that is not true as I would happily move to a council property even though by birth I am middle class (sorry if that sounds pompous , it's not meant to be)

• 1 year later...

I have received a dispute form from my bank to reclaim the charges I paid for a reference check to a Letting Agent.

The LL wasn't contactable and the LA didn't want to know. The further I dug into this the more I found.

They advised me to ask the LA for a copy of my report as this was the only way I could challenge them in getting the money should they fail to provide this.

What's the best way to handle the form?

The LL's associate has received no reference/calls from the LA and has no knowledge of me going through the LA.

He gave me a business address that is linked with dodgy behavior and has no landline.

He wants me to email the LL to arrange a signing of the agreement.

It's all one big mess really, not an honest person on either side.

I'm pretty sure the LA just kept my money and didn't bother with a reference.

The form contains standardized questions such as "Specify agreed location for delivery of service/goods" "Please confirm goods/service not received. Delete at required yes/no"

I want to word it correctly to stand the best chance of getting the cash back.

Cheers.

Edited by honeybee13

I have no idea, I made one last night, or so I thought. Tried to find it today and it took me to an older thread I made. Checked my history and it was taking me to the same thread "Is it worth buying a credit report"

so what are you tryin to do

reclaim the fee charged for the fictitious CRA checks?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

quite possibly but how long ago was this

and what method did you state to the bank you are using?

and how was it paid?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Confused 1

and they