• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Paypal unauthorised transactions

pobat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

My ebay, paypal and hotmail account was recently compromised. there were three bids made on ebay for mobile phones, two of which were sucessfully completed. Money was taken out my account via ebay totalling about £500. The packages were sent to Pakistan. (I even have the full postal address on my emails). I reported it to Paypal and they put them under investigation. Paypal have said to me that if the transactions are proved to be unauthorised, i am not liable and i will get 100% moneyback.

Today they emailed me saying that they cannot prove them to be unauthorised and i wont be getting any money Back.

What could i do?

For the Past two years, ive been working for a PC Support company, repairing Computers for the general Public. Trust me, iv'e seen some pretty Bad PCs and managed to Clean them all. Im Sure that my PC was not infected with any trojan. (I did do a thourough check as a trojan was the first thought on how they managed to get into my account.)

Back to the point. on ebay, there are three unauthorised bids, two of which have been paid for. to report dodjy activity, you need to go onto a live help (like a chat room). I the timer says maybe 25 minutes before an agent is available, but ive waited about an hour and a half for to be ready.

I just made a complaint to the Paypal Europe Limited saying that i want these cases reopened. I have evidence of the packages going to pakistan, and evidence to show that i have had to change all my passwords.

looks like paypal will not do anything about my case as 'all decisions are final' according to their terms of use. looking around the net shows that paypal are a pain in the ass to deal with. they do not give out any details of the investigation, nor will they cooperate over the phone, or respond to letters.

Im thinking of sending them a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) for information on the investigation, internet logs to my account and changes made to my account (password changes etc).

does the Data Protection Act cover things like internet logs and investigation details?

something is seriously wrong here. My paypal account has been compromised again!

The amount lost today is about £18. I believe that i am lucky, because ebay had put a restriction on my account, so i don't think that the hacker was able to access that account.

What to do?

I have to say you are in for a battle. Do a search on Amazon for paypal and you will find a book about a guy who took them on. I lost about £50 quid earlier this year because 'their decsision is final'....

If you check out the ebay boards you will find an awful lot of people with paypal accounts closed for no reason and money withheld. Watchdog have been receiveing a number of complaints. I would suggest the OFT and Trading Standards might be your first port of call.

I assume you contacted the police as soon as you discovered the funds had been taken?

What are they doing to investigate the matter?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

the police 90% of the time are useless and the people working behind the desks are clueless, you can try you might get lucky and speak to somone who has some sort of qualification and wants to help, but my first port of call would be to send a Subject access form, and go to trading standards, no point sending a PREM letter because no one has any legal jargon to quote, unless its in that book thats for sale via amazon.

I think a good approach would be to sned a subject access form, then once you have the information go to Watch dog they are more likely to get involved if you have further information that the average person who complains to them.

HSBC Prelim Letter sent 08/08 recorded delivery requesting £1645 - offer made of £1420 on 18/08 and accepted

:) - a HUGE ;) thanks to CAG.

22/08 DPA to Capital One Sent recorded delivery

22/08 DPA to RBS Advanta Sent recorded delivery

ALWAYS USE RECORDED DELIVERY

• 1 month later...

sorry guys, i did not give any new feedback on this situation. it kinda slipped my mind.

Anyway, i contacted the bank and told them i have been a victim of fraud and they sent out a form to fill in so they could start investigating. I went to my local branch and asked for statements for that last month, just to find that my acount had been credited by Paypal. Its really strange, as they did not tell me that they are crediting my account or they have re-assesed my claim. In fact they had not written to me since my complaint, just returned my money, no questions asked.

so im happy now.

• 1 month later...

Ebay do own paypal, but when you try to get any sense out of one regarding another, it seems they work to different terms and conditions! I always feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall trying to get any sense out of either paypal or ebay. I've been ebaying for years now, but am not so keen because of fraudulent chargebacks against me and also losing out on £370 - a seller didn't send me anything, and although I presumed I was fully covered, because I'd paid for both items as one payment, I wasn't. I've lost over £500 to paypal this last year alone!!! I HATE PAYPAL . Sorry, CAG - feel much better now that rant is over! Good luck all. xx

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Hi Pobat

Hmmm my only advise to you is stay away from ebay and paypal they are both very insecure, i personally know somebody that spends his hours stealing money and account details from ebay users. Ebay is the key here not paypal, but ofcourse most people that use ebay have a paypal account. He showed me just how easy it was if you new what you was doing, it took about 2 minutes and he was in to the account. And ofcourse neither ebay or paypal can prove anything as all transactions are through some remote and secure proxy that cant be traced and all appears to be normal as far as ebay are concerned.

Close the paypal account mate this minute, now they have you you will lose everything in the next few days/ weeks !

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs