Ripped off by car garage

pinny9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, We bought second hand car from a garage in bristol (autobristol) we part x'd out car and paid the additional fee on debit card, 2 weeks later it completly broke dowm, took it to a garage who said it was an awful car should never have passed mot, we then contaced the garage who at 1st were very nice promising to call us back, they never did. the garage could not find the problem as all the memory had been swipped off and all the engine wire in the wrong place, but managed to get it started but were advised to get rid of it asap - it worked for a further week when it broke down again luckly this time we had RAC cover - we then called the garage he refused to have anything to do with the car we have sent him 2 letters as advised by trading standards - no reply. the car is currently parked outside our home. for the 8 weeks we have had the car it has worked for 2!! we are now in the process of taking legal action but as we have to upfront all the money with no guarantte we wil have it all back and if we do it could be as litlle as £50 a week back.

A friend has advised if not fit for purchase we can recall the money we paid through our debit card??

any help welcome

Thanks

Laura

Hi pin

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

A friend has advised if not fit for purchase we can recall the money we paid through our debit card??

any help welcome

Thanks

Laura

If the Debit card was Visa it has more protection than others.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

We bought a second hand car from autobristol - part xd our ford fiesta and paid the difference using a debit card - after 2 weeks the car broke down - we contacted the garage who were friendly at the time and kept promising to call back they never did - we had a local garage to look at it they said it was in a terrible state and should never have been sold to us! he could not find a problem as all the memory had been taken off (a renault so all electrical), he did manage to get the car started but advised us to get rid of asap - as the garage now refusing to have nothing to do with the problem i contacted trading standards and was informed to send a letter to auto bristol which i did no reply a week later the car broke down again we then had to get towed home by RAC - the man who brought the car back home said it seemed as if it had been in an awful accident the state of the engine put back together!!! i have since sent a second letter to autobristol still no reply we have now been advised by trading standards to wait for a court date but we a left without a car and have to pay all the upfront charges for solicitors etc! for the 8 weeks we have had the car it has worked for 2!!!

I have heard if it is not fit for purchase we can recall the money from the bank???

any help welcome please!

but as we have to upfront all the money with no guarantte we wil have it all back and if we do it could be as litlle as £50 a week back.

I don't understand what that means, can you explain it please ?

Have you written to the seller asking him to repair the car ?

What is the make and model of the car and it's age and mileage ?

How much was the car advertised for ?

If you had used a credit card then yes!

Debit card is like cash, however Visa do opearte a dispute service, but is complicated and runs out of the states. You could try and speak to your bank and they will point you in the right direction.

What is the timeline on this?

You can reject the car ask for money back as not fit for purpose, in writing, giving 7 days for response. ( have you checked the previous MOTs, mileage and failures etc. you do this on the vosa web site ).

You do not need solicitors, just make an application to court if they do not respond or reject your claim.

When it first broke down you should of taken it back for them to sort out. They must be given oppotunity to correct faults.

• 11 months later...

Hi, pinny9 I am wondering if you managed to resolve this case? My parents bought a car from AUTOBRISTOL.com in March and it was faulty. We are still to this day fighting for a refund. Would love to know how you went and if you have any tips. We are planning on calling the media in on this one as it appears this is becoming a trait of theirs...