English now living in Australia - SLC have passed over my debt to Transcom

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I went to uni 1998-2001. In that time I used loans from SLC. In 2002 I moved to Australia ad every year provided SLC with my financial info and contact detail.

I moved again in 2011 and emailed SLC with my new contact details. my auntie received a phone call from Transcom looking for me - I have no idea why they contacted her as I have never given my aunties details.

SLC must not have got my new address details and passed my debt over to transcom.

I have never started paying my debt back as I became a mum and have not worked since I finished uni.

I have always intended to pay my debt as soon as my kids start at school and I gain employment.

I'm worried what it means that transcom now have my debt. Can anyone please explain this to me.

thank you.

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

This would apply for student loans taken out after September 1998,

They would need to go to court in the UK, before they could ask an Aussie court to enforce over there. Being that you are not in the UK and they know that, they should not be able to go to court in the UK, as they know you would not be able to defend.

So that are basically stuffed and can't do a lot, other than just hassle you, if they find out where you are living. At some stage, you must have given your aunts address to somebody, as it has been found using a credit record search I guess. Your aunt should just tell them that there is no one at the address of that name. If she get any letters in the post, she should just mark them 'not at this address, return to sender'.

It is up to you what you do with the debt, when you are able to repay it. If you return to the UK at any time, they can deduct an amount from your wages without needing any court action.

If ever gets to the stage where your aunt is fed up of the hassle, you could write to the SLC and advise them of the situation. Transcom will be acting on behalf of the SLC.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread