SLC Debt Collection Abroad

Red74
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, what a great forum with helpful knowledgeable people!

I'd like to ask for advise too please:

Background:

I have 5 old style 93-97 loans.

From 98 until 2005 I've lived in the UK but I've never earned the amount to repay so have successfully deferred every year

For the last 7 years I've lived in the Caribbean, financially supported by my wife so continued deferring successfully.

Since being abroad my mother has been the postal contact for SLC for forms, etc.

In 2011 I completed my forms as usual, with my mother's new address, as my mother was here visiting me at the same time she took the deferment forms back to the UK to post.

In 2012 I contacted them to see if I could defer online. Whilst I was talking to them they said they wanted to transfer me to 'trace' department to update my contact details. Whilst talking to 'trace' they said that they hadn't received my 2011 deferment forms and therefore hadn't received my mother's new address to post letters to, so there were arrears outstanding. I explained they must be lost by Royal Mail or somewhere in house at SLC.

Soon after I was told my file was being transferred to Buchanen, Clarke and Wells to recover the debt and that I was to contact them. I contacted them by email and whilst waiting for a reply my mother received a letter from SLC saying my file had been transferred to Smith Lawson Company to recover the debts and had been charged an extra GBP 60 for the pleasure, despite me doing as advised by SLC to contact BCW.

So, my questions to those knowledgeable people are:

As I'm not earning any money and live abroad what 'legal proceedings' can they take towards me?

Would my mother's address get bad credit rating as this is where my letters are being sent?

Say I move back to Europe (but not UK) in the future and I got bad credit rating from this mess, would I get bad credit rating in Europe too?

Any other advise, until I can afford to pay back what I owe?

Thank you very much in advance, and apologies for the long winded explanation but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

If you are a non UK resident they cannot take any enforcement action against you here & because of where you are, AFAiK there are no reciprocal agreements between the UK & SL although their legal system is based on UK common law it is completely independent.. Theoretically they could try and pursue through the courts there but I doubt whether the court would accept jurisdiction.

Would my mother's address get bad credit rating as this is where my letters are being sent?
No.

Say I move back to Europe (but not UK) in the future and I got bad credit rating from this mess, would I get bad credit rating in Europe too?
No.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cerberusalert,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, most appreciated. Sorry for the delay in replying back. Now let's see what they can threaten me with...

Red74