Judgement for Claimant. I replied, they say I didn't.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I know these have probably been done to death but my searches haven't found my circumstances, yet. I'm sure it's out there though and I'll keep looking.

11 years ago I got divorced. She dropped all our debts on to me. I defaulted. As I had a new wife and son I didn't declare bankrupcy, but maybe I should have! Anyway there are still outstanding debts.

A couple of weeks ago I recieved a Claims form and response pack for this debt of £1195. I do agree that I owe the money but I have no way to pay it back. Nor my mortgage, other debts... sigh. I am employed, but it's not big bucks.

On checking the dates and the time period allowed I had just 6 days to go! I'm sure they deliberately leave it late to send them. Anyway, I did respond, I filled it in, sent it back with 3 days to go.

This morning I recieved a Judgement for Claimant (in default). They have added £167(!) for costs and obviously want it all now, saying "You have not replied to the claim form". I have the scanned and dated copies of my response. Can you advise on how to best respond please bearing in mind I DID reply?

Thanks.

Mike.

If its an admission Cerb then the instructions are to return the N9A to the Claimants Sols.If its a defence or part admission then back to Court or on line if the claim has been issued on line.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

It used to be a nasty trick of a certain firm of solicitors that used to send you the claim form once stamped by the county court and then ask you to send it back to them, obviously some things got "lost" in the post or just arrived late so to speak and the firm in question delighted in seeking judgement at the earliest opportunity.

Good morning Shadow, and others.

It was an admission, I do admit that there is a debt. It was for an old Lloyds bank account that was in the red when we got divorced, IIRC. I sent the admission, together with a breakdown of finances and a list of current debts. I broke down the amount I have after bills etc and divided it up pro rata. I offered them £8.21 / month. One of the other debts is £35k, so pro rata that was the right amount.

As for the last time I Acknowledged, I don't know at the moment. I need to look at the pile of letters I have here and work through them. I guess you're alluding to the 6 year rulethat I have heard about?

The question remains, what can I do with the court? I'll be on the phone to them this morning but any other advice would be welcome.

And, If for some reason this is totally binding, what next? I don't have £1200 quid to give them. I have no way of getting loans, not that I want them, I'm already in a £2.4k overdraft at the bank. ****, I see no way out of this.

I'm off to work. No access to computers, I'm an animal warden for a council working outside in the weather, so I'll look in again this evening. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Mike.

Edited by Bloodfromstones
Addition of extra information.

Simply request a variation on the Forthwith judgment to monthly by using the N245 and include an I&E and proposed payment offer.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi all. Apologies for the delay in replying.

I phoned the court who offered me a form (for £40!) to request payment over time.

I phoned Aplins and got a sensible, helpful person. I expected a "give me money now or else" attitude, but no. What they're doing is putting a claim on the house. Once that is in place then they will start accepting the payments I offered. It's a reasonable compromise in that I'm not being pushed right now, can pay off what I can afford, and if I ever get the house off of my hands the debt will be covered, if there's any money to do so.

Thanks for your offers of help, it was useful getting it off my chest.

Mike.

They are meaning charging order, slow down before you go down this route, wait for peeps to respond especially those with the necessary knowledge.

As Mike said, you REALLY don't want a charging order on your house!

Of course if the house is in joint names then its just a restriction and not a charging order so it doesnt hold quite the weight a charging order does :)

Again, be very careful, with a charging order missed repayments could lead to them applying for an order for sale, I personally would get that variation order in to the court to get instalment payments made before they can apply for a charging order.

S.

Once they've applied for a charging order the judge will rubber stamp it and then next thing you'll get is notification from the land registry that an interim charging order has been recorded against your property, the final hearing is where you can make objections but its normally a formality for the judge to rubber stamp it and make it final.

S.