Mis sold boat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im not sure if this is the right place for this post but anyway I recently brought a fishing boat of eBay, the ad stated that it's ready to go/no problems with it etc however once it was in the water I found it to have many problems which weren't mentioned in the ad. It had a leak, a broken bilge pump, worn gear selector meaning it won't go into gear and a few other minor faults. After a month of coresspondance with the seller he said he'd give me 500 to fix it and that's him done, case closed. So I took the 500 but now it seems the repairs to get it to the condition he was meant to sell it as comes to 1200 so I'm not sure what options I have available to me. I realised there was a leak after he have the 500 to 'settle' it. It's costing me so much money, I had to take two days off work when I first got it as it went into the water and didn't move so had to get it safely onto a beach! I've also paid 650 for the mooring which is being wasted, I really hope someone can help me as this has caused me so much stress.

Oh dear, with such a purchase you should of inspected before buying or had a survey, so 'caveat emptor ' etc. and even after problems you agreed to settle for £500 to cover them, so he has a point.

Having said that if the add misdescribed or misrepresented its condition you may have a case to take him to court.

but you must first establish all the costs involved to put it in the condition as per the advert or your money back and advise the seller of such and give him the opportunity to settle before going to court.

You could open a dispute through ebay, however I suspect you paid outsde their site, so will not help.

Oh dear, with such a purchase you should of inspected before buying or had a survey, so 'caveat emptor ' etc. and even after problems you agreed to settle for £500 to cover them, so he has a point.

Having said that if the add misdescribed or misrepresented its condition you may have a case to take him to court.

but you must first establish all the costs involved to put it in the condition as per the advert or your money back and advise the seller of such and give him the opportunity to settle before going to court.

You could open a dispute through ebay, however I suspect you paid outsde their site, so will not help.

I couldn't not inspect it as the boat was in Cornwall and I live 300 miles away so got it delivered. It was also on a trailer so even if I did go to inspect I'd be none the wiser as its ALOT of work putting it in/out the water! 500 doesn't even begin to cover my costs, let alone to get it in the advert described condition. I have asked him to settle this out of court but he's not having any of it, he won't even give me his full name or his address so how can I take legal action against him? The only details I have are his bank details where I paid him through, his email and his phone number, not much to go on! I did say I'd settle for 500 however after that settlement I found another couple of issues with the boat, broken bilge pump and a leak! Anyway what I want to know is can I claim for my losses due to the boat? As in mooring fees (650) engineer call out fees (300) and towing the boat (210) as all these costs were due to him. How do I start the process? Ive never done this before

Hiya,

You can get his name and address details that he registered on ebay, by requesting them through ebay.

The only stipulation is that he get yours too i think.

Then serve him at that address.

I had to do something similar when I bought an engine for a land rover, had it couriered and fitted only to find it had a head gasket failure.

Also it might be an idea to get someone who repairs/serves boats to inspect it and give you a report on the damage, issues and this will give you further ammunition to use.

when you got the boat picked up, did you have a name and address where it was collected from?

If it was from a boatyard, would they have details of owner?

Dangers of buying expensive things on ebay!

The item number is 220984005137. I had a name, just John! It was picked up from a big car park so there was no way of obtaining his address. As someone mentioned previously I can request their address from eBay so I think that's probably the next stage.

He seems to be a private seller which makes it harder.

spent over £4000 on it since owning it keeping it sea worthy etc

You say it's not seaworthy?

and told it is double skinned

(It looks it), is it double skinned?

Get pictures of where the leaks are, are they fast enough that they prohibit the use of the boat?