Ordered some chilled food online, dilivered in non suitable packaging food warm and damaged

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know if im posting this in right place, But I hope some one can offer me some advice. My children have dairy allergies, so I order a lot of there special dairy free food online. I have used a particular company a few times with no problems.

This time I decided to try ordering some chilled foods, such as dairy free cheese, dairy free spread, soya and coconut yoghurts and etc. They were sent by courier and were delivered next day.

when package arrived the box was soaking wet and dripping. The delivery driver had had to wrap a bag around parcel. I opened the box in front of the delivery driver and he looked in box with me. The box was like a ordinary cardboard box lined with some clear plastic and there were some gel packs.

The gel packs were clearly defrosted and warm and food was warm. Understandably the delivery driver did not want to take a dripping wet package with him. So I agreed to keep it at my house but insisted on the delivery driver making a note that package was damaged and defrosted warm. I also took some photos whilst he was there. Before signing.

I contacted company who I had ordered food from and they apologized and agreed to send another lot out and told me to bin this lot of food.

Well today second lot of food came and it was even worse. Parcel was dripping, same style box. Opened in front of driver again and again gel packs were warm and defrosted, 2 gel packs had exploded and every thing was covered in gel. Wrappers falling of food as so wet, yoghurt pot had big dent in it and all food was warm.

It seems to me that the packaging they are using clearly is not suitable for sending chilled food, It is as far as I can tell not insulated etc.

Are there legal requirements for sending chilled food. Do companies have to use specific packaging or not. I could not see a make on the box but the gel packs that they used say soft box temperature control packaging.

I have looked this up on Google and been on soft box website and and they only state that there systems are for sending medical and pharmaceutical supplies not food.

I am going to contact company again to complain, but wondered if I should take it further this time. Should I contact health and safety or some thing or just leave it. I'm just concerned that they could give some one food poisoning with this.

any advice much appreciated

thanks in advance

Hi teddy

It can't be cost effective for the company delivering goods, then having to deliver further goods and telling you to dispose of them. So clearly that's not good for them, but that's not your concern. Health and Safety is your concern, if they are so lax in the basics, what standards exist at the factory/distribution etc. I would contact your local councils food safety department so they can look into it. There are potential hazards to the public, someone might decide not to do the sensible thing and not throw the food away.

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforceessential/yourarea/

thanks for your reply, stupid question Probably but, The company I ordered food from online are not based near me they are based in another town in another county so Would I have to contact the food safety department at my local council. Or the food safety department at local council where the company is based. thanks

I would contact your local council, they will probably have to send someone to inspect the packaging etc.

thanks for your reply, stupid question Probably but, The company I ordered food from online are not based near me they are based in another town in another county so Would I have to contact the food safety department at my local council. Or the food safety department at local council where the company is based. thanks