Help with Credit Union problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have a problem with a credit union in my local area. I saved some money with a credit union seven years ago and have been saving with them up until 2 years ago. I just forgot about the money because I suffered depression after losing my mother to motor neurone disease. I had a visit from a representative of the credit union and basically got told I would have to apply to get my money back and could/would take up to a year to get the money back because they were in a new financial year and might have to wait til the end of their financial end of year. They have gone so far as saying I might have to apply to the government to get my money back. They have classed my account as dormant and unable to bring my account out of the dormant stage. Can anyone help with some advice please. Thank you in advance :oops::???::sad::-x

Hi liz

The first thing to do is write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Tell them that you require that money to be returned A.S.A.P., and to wait a year is unsatisfactory. If there are personal circumstances then tell them, illness, hardship . Tell them you will take the matter to the FOS if you have too. Send it Recorded. Get a Final answer from them before you lodge a complaint with the FOS.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/21/credit-unions.htm