Lodger tried to claim Crisis Loan to pay rent, failed & owe rent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4373 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well....

I did not get any more money last night or today.

And he left.

But not before a letter from Housing Benefit dropped through the door this morning !

Furious.

I didnt even have to inadvertently open this letter, as it noted the sender on the envelope...

Even as he was leaving with all his bags, he continued the charade. I confronted him, asking where his expected funds were coming from - still he said from overseas. So when I asked, because he was short of funds, if he had applied for benefits to help pay his rent - he flinched slightly, before then saying, that he had had to - as a back up... just incase his foreign funding hadnt come through. NOT cool, I told him - If he could not afford to pay rent, why not go home to his dying mother instead ? Why, prey on an innocent single mum and take advantage of her (my) hospitality for so many weeks ? He continued to look me in the eye and lie about his circumstances

He has continued to send messages saying he will send the money. NOT convinced and am sick with the worry about how I catch up with my mortgage payments now.

I worry that he will use the weekly invoices I gave him to try to claim benefits in arrears, even though he is not here and has paid only 1 week.

Should I contact the HB team to advise them he does not live at my address ? And contact the DWP team to advise them too ? Or just Return to Sender - unknown at this address ??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just draw a line under the whole thing, its not very likly that he will be able to get retro Hb if he has already been refused but you could just let the HB office know that he has left in case they are processing a claim, just so they they know.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Today another letter arrived - this time Job Seekers Allowance.

So much for his big deals and funding that was supposed to arrive to pay the rent @ mine...

He sent another message saying he promised to pay when he gets his funds in soon. Personally I now think he has lost his marbles !!

Did not sleep last night for worry but feel better now he has gone and it is a day later....

Thank you all for your support.

I am just not sure if I should let JSA, HB and DWP know he is not at mine....???

Thank you.

I will return them all today.

He has contacted me again to say funds will arrive "this" week... but he has said that "every" week...

Lets see if faith in humanity is restored !!

I had somebody like this years ago and they seemed very very nice etc etc etc but at the end of the day if you are paying for this professional scrounger - yes I use those harsh words - then they need to know they have milked you enough and need to move pronto.

As said make sure you have somebody with you and get the locks changed just in case, you could find your valuables gone.

I would also recommend reporting him to the police and local social security as he may be pulling this stunt a lot.

Don't forget to get a copy of your CRA files to make sure he hasn't used your address to obtain credit elsewhere - and make sure they have a notice of disassociation against his name at your address.

Don't take any chances with this man; I am afraid I've heard all this sort of thing before in various places. If he is absolutely genuine and has nowhere else, you can put him in touch with Shelter or local homelessness organisation. I suspect, though, that he'll realise that he's got as much as he's going to from you, and will move on. All the same, I'd contact my neighbourhood policing team and just flag him up.

I'd be asking myself what he has been doing all day if he's not working or trying to otherwise sort himself out. His tales of big business are rather reminiscent of 419 [problem]-type stuff.

Contact the DWP and Jobcentre directly and state that at no time did you give this person permission to use your address and state that he is a fraud, let them know that until the letters started arriving you believed he had money abroad and had to wait to get it into this country.

Insist on getting a crime number from the local police and give that to the DWP and Jobcentre peole and give the police a description, they may already be aware of this fraudster.

Don't just return the letters as they will then think that you had something to do with this and implicate you. Speak to them directly.

Lying ?

he moved in on the basis of a one week stay. During that week he said he had got the funding and approval for the rate I was charging him to continue for a few more weeks. It was never supposed to be a long term rent - it was on a lodger/few weeks basis until he got his own place sorted. So... I did not give him permission to use MY address for any type of correspondence, least of all setting up for HB, JWA, or Crisis Loans.

Clearly he took the address off the invoices I raised for his accounts.

He might have misunderstand the situation because he did talk about wanting to set up monthly payments, but I was always clear that it was not a long term deal as I have alternative plans for the property from this summer.

Police?

I need to consider this.

Also, re #32, if he has been out of work maybe he knows about this site and has been trawling it for help and advice ? Maybe he has seen this post and realises who the OP is ?

There is nothing he can do to you if he has seen this site and this particular thread, there are no identifying factors here such as names, locations etc. There is nothing to worry about from that point of view. He can hardly do you for libel/slander as he has acted dishonestly himself.

Lying ?

he moved in on the basis of a one week stay. During that week he said he had got the funding and approval for the rate I was charging him to continue for a few more weeks. It was never supposed to be a long term rent - it was on a lodger/few weeks basis until he got his own place sorted. So... I did not give him permission to use MY address for any type of correspondence, least of all setting up for HB, JWA, or Crisis Loans.

Clearly he took the address off the invoices I raised for his accounts.

He might have misunderstand the situation because he did talk about wanting to set up monthly payments, but I was always clear that it was not a long term deal as I have alternative plans for the property from this summer.

in terms of benefits the DWP have to have the place of residence. From my point of view if you mislead the DWP that he has never lived at your address thats wrong, by all means tell them he is no longer there but dont give them the impression he has never lived there as its you then breaking the law.

I had no intention of misleading DWP.

I am just worried about what he has told them. Like, he may have told them he is at mine permanently, rather than short term, so he can get HB. I have no idea how HB works - like, does he get it or the landlord ? If he gets it and is forging my invoices going forward, then clearly DWP need to know he is fraudulently claiming at an address where he does not live. He did ask me to forward all mail to him - which it says on the envelope NOT to do.

He has also now told me he is crossing the Atlantic to sort out his business deal - despite the fact he has no funds ! MUG, me :-( Even using air miles he needs some £s/$s in hand to live... Clearly deluded. He sends texts/emails saying he has every intention to pay. But I guess he is hoping I give up...

You MUST contact the HB people and tell them he has been thrown out - they operate separately from the DWP (despite what the DWP like you to think) and HB goes to the claimant, not the landlord.

For all you know he could be claiming he rented the entire property... they also need to know that he has been less than truthful about his income.

Just contact DWP and HB etc and tell them that he did stay with you for x amount of time, he no longer is at your address and you do not want any mail for him sent to your address. You are not going to get paid from this gentleman whatever he says, do not reply to his texts or emails, do not get into conversation with him put it down to bad luck/judgement whatever and move on.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Update.

And feeling sooooo stupid.

There is this website called the Rip Off Report. Don't know if anyone else has seen it? But "he" is on it. BIG time. For fraud in the US. Has a lawsuit against him for over 175k ! And bounced cheques for over 200k ! And here is little old me worried about the few weeks rent !! I know it is all relative and the amount he owes me means a lot to me, but clearly he has de-frauded people in a much greater way ...

I contacted everyone and returned all mail. Although the DWP were seriously unhappy that I had opened a letter - even mistakenly. They said they had to file a report about it -eeek.

He is still texting/emailing saying £s will come. But given what I have unearthed I sincerely doubt it. He has allegedly disappeared overseas, to his mother in Europe. Although even then I am not so sure as his ring tone does not sound like an overseas tone...just same old uk tone.

I found photos of him with uk politicians and even Bill Clinton, as a prominent business man, in 2007; articles written about his business successes in 2009. Yet a few years later, he just seems a con-artist.

MUG - me :mad2:

I even unearthed his accountant here in the UK, for tons of now dissolved companies and 2 still existing ones. Does anyone know if I can get a CCJ for him at his accountants ? And if it is worth the effort, given that I have no idea where he is and bailiffs have nothing to repossess ?

1. He has no money.

2. He is already on a runner from debt/alleged crime.

3. He keeps calling about paying a debt after he left - so is now more on a different planet than con man.

4. Do you think he will make money again in the next 6 years?

5. Do you think that money will be earned in the UK?

6. Do you think you will know if he does make that money?

7. Do you think he will respect a court order?

8. Do you think his mother is ill still?

All that has happened is you paid a lot for a rather unusual story to tell people at parties!

Lastly, in the massively unlikely scenario you were ever paid, probability would suggest it would be more likely to come from the aspect of his personality that keeps him calling after leaving, than the likelihood of ever seeing money back care of a court. So spending money seeking a CCJ is throwing good money after bad.

PS - I would have posted the links! :D

I even unearthed his accountant here in the UK, for tons of now dissolved companies and 2 still existing ones. Does anyone know if I can get a CCJ for him at his accountants ? And if it is worth the effort, given that I have no idea where he is and bailiffs have nothing to repossess ?

Well, I have to admit I didn't see this one coming. Agree with Bang!, don't bother with a CCJ attempt. If he really has bounced checks worth hundreds of thousands and is wanted in the US, I don't see him paying a few hundred because of a UK CCJ.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Print out the report and send it to the DWP and HMRC so they know what this guy is about - and send them the accountants details for further contact.

Then sit back and wait for the karma to come his way.

The Americans have ways of stopping these people we can't even dream about - and if he is trying to hide overseas they will have him arrested on the flight - they don't like 'bad' people like him [problem]ming them.

Get the information to the police as well as they may be interested in his whereabouts and contacts.

That is one of the secrets of a con-man, appearing normal, plauseable and an all round good guy when they are the opposite.

You could try going for a CCJ against him and use his accountants as his last known address, but is it really worth the effort - one scenario is that he might go bankrupt and where would that leave you in the line of creditors.

You can write to his accountant, enclosing a copy of the DWP documentation which I am sure would put the cat amongst the pidgeons, I suspect the accountant may not be too happy either if he realises his client may be using 'laundered' money to pay the bill (if it is paid at all.

I think that is the best course of action for now, a CCJ will cost you money, don't forget you will also have an allocation questionnaire fee (if it doesn't immediately go to judgement by default) and then how would you manage to enforce it if he is continually moving around?

Edited by sillygirl1

Thanks for replying.

Bang - I did smile at your reply !

The internet is a wonderful tool when one uses it correctly. Silly me is doing all my character checking after the event !

I can see he owns many, many properties in a rather lovely part of the US. I can see that some have been foreclosed; some he still owns, even shared with others. So there is definitely some assets/money available. Maybe constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul...

I can also see that he is friends with high-up people within his country's Embassy here in the UK. Even friend/business colleague with Miliband - ha ha... Clearly he moves in high circles. And no-one ever questions his ethics...

I think a CCJ is not a good course of action, upon reflection after a good night's sleep - for once.

I agree that fodder for parties is one aspect of this silly story ... but I wonder, still, if the table can be turned using some of his high connections...

I also wonder if the accountant is in on some of these dodgy deals....

That is why the accountant needs to know that his client is not on the level, just to really rub it it give the DWP the accountant's details and tell them that is where he can be found in future. Get onto the DWP fraud line. It is possible this person is doing it around this country now.

Have you checked the interpol site? It will say if there is an international warrant issued against him.

There are two ways of looking as this. Do you want paid or do you want to cut him up? I still think the chances of being paid are tiny.

A ccj will rarely work against a person like this but he keeps calling so morally feels he's indebted to you.

He will soon forget what you are owed if he finds you exercised the 'cut him up' option.

Suddenly you know much of what he said is true, and if there is no warrant then he might be a decent guy in genuinely hard times scaping to get by.

Had the events that happened to him, happened to you - what would you have told the person whose house you moved into?

I should report everything you know to everyone who says they are looking for him. Americans are money mad - you never know your luck, someone might have offered a reward for info about him or something similar. Lifes a lottery!