Am i liable for a water bill as a lodger??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i just to seek some advice. I am being chased by welsh water for a water bill for a house i was lodging in with my old workmate. I never sign any tenancy agreement when i moved in, just a verbal agreement that my montly rent covered all the household bills. I explain this to them, but they say, that i am joint liable as i used the water supply. I have seeked advice from friends and family, and they say, that i aint liable for the bill, if i hadn't sign any tenancy forms. They also said, write to them. to ask them to supply information, to show that i am legally liable for the bill. Are they right?? am i not liable, if i didn't sign any rental agreement??

As a lodger you would not normally be liable for the bill unless you had a specific agreement to pay it. Your monthly rent should have included your share of all utilities.

The bill is the responsibility of the person whose name it is in.

I explain this to them, but they say, that i am joint liable as i used the water supply.

Presumably they said that on the phone, rather than putting it in writing

If you have any letters from them, reply saying that you were a lodger, you paid rent including all utilities and that you have not incurred any liability to them.

If they phone, ask for them to write to you explaining your alleged liability, then reply with the above

Naughty Welsh Water - send them to the appropriate step

Thanx, i will write to them and explain. I have also, just phoned the Consumer Credit debt advice and they say that, as i didn't sign any tenancy agreement, i am not joint liable for this bill. I was just lodging there, and not a official tenant. I will post further details, when clarke willmott, reply back to me.

Thanx, i will write to them and explain. I have also, just phoned the Consumer Credit debt advice and they say that, as i didn't sign any tenancy agreement, i am not joint liable for this bill. I was just lodging there, and not a official tenant. I will post further details, when clarke willmott, reply back to me.

clarke willmott are solicitors (maybe debt collectors) - did they say that you are liable? If so, that's some-one else for the naught step.

Tell them that you have no liability for this, but if they disagree, to explain why they believe that you are liable and what period they believe you are liable for (without giving them any info) otherwise **** off & stop bothering you

I wouldn't say where you got the advice or what you have joined, just that "you have been advised".

Just a update, the disputed bill was from 2006-2010. I have tried to get help from the energy ombusman, as i was informed, they dealt with the water companies too, but they don't so i have contacted the Consumer Council for water and they advised me to write to welsh water, not clarke willmott and explained the situation and they should hold the account on hold, for a few weeks and see if they, can chase the required person. I have also, contacted my ex-housemate, to ask him to contact welsh water, to explain the situation about my status and that i was just a lodger. I have also read a consumer website, that the occupier and anyone residing in that property are liable or shared liability of any bills. !!! I'm afraid, in the end, i would have to pay it but i will fight it

I wouldn't tell them when you lived there, but let them prove it. Use their lack of knowledge against them when they send bills for when you weren't there. Again, just reject them saying that you weren't living there at the time. It will be up to them to prove it (not for you to disprove) They will most likely give up.

Send all of your letters to the water company - deal with the puppet master, not the muppets