Statute Barred

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Could someone please help me by explaining what Statute barred is and when it happens.

A few years ago I was told that so long a s acompany writes to you at least every 6 years then it would never be SB but on here people have said that so long as you do not pay or otherwise acknowledge the debt for 6 years then that is enough I am confused

Hi

Could someone please help me by explaining what Statute barred is and when it happens.

A few years ago I was told that so long a s acompany writes to you at least every 6 years then it would never be SB but on here people have said that so long as you do not pay or otherwise acknowledge the debt for 6 years then that is enough I am confused

Statute barred is where a debt becomes no longer pursuable/collectible because of the limitation of 6 years.

You should not have made any payment or acknowledgment of liability for the debt for 6 years from the last payment made. (5 years in Scotland)

The creditor/DCA could write to you every day and it would still not make it unstatute barred :)

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they aren’t being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.

section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980 applies

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, I have not paid my debt from my student loan days for nearly 6 years (in it now with Link Financial who have been harrassing me) I have been in contact with them, but have made no payment. I gather this means it's NOT statue barred, even though I haven't made a payment in nearly 6 years, is that right? Also, I lost my job last year, and cannot afford them a repayment. I sent them the required papers as confirmation that I was signing on, but they are still hassling me daily for the debt of £2,200. I don't want to speak to them on the phone, as they are so horrible. What should I do next? Any advice greatly appreciated.