audi a3 Cabriolet roof problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have had the car since new and its now just three and a half years old. i recently tried to put the roof down but the warning light on the dash iluminated and one of the windows stopped working, now because the window wont go down the roof wont operate.

i took the car back to the dealership that i bought it from and they said that i need a new window motor.

the price of the part is £580 inc VAT. This dosent include the labour cost.

now i dont think i should have to pay for something that really shouldn't have gone wrong.

i could understand if i only paid a few hundred for an old car but this was brand new.

am i being unreasonable to expect a repair at no cost to myself?

On one hand the cost of an A3 DHC is high so you would expect it to last a long time. However, on the other hand there are so many different parts to a car that some bits will throw the towel in before others.

In saying that, you have nothing to lose in challenging them with SOGA to see what comes back. I would suspect the best way would be to embarrass them into making good the repair using comparisons.

Useful arguments might be pointing out Audi presents itself as a superior product, yet some budget far east marques would see fit to fix the window motor for ?6/7? years. Or point out the cost of the similar part fitted with that ?6/7? year warranty in the eastern car.

Lastly, and entirely irrelevant as an argument, but worth keeping as a reference in your thoughts. £580 for an electric motor is a crazy price, and likely to have a 90%+ mark up on what it costs Audi to make/source the part. What the dealer is charged could well be 50% of the selling price - so speaking to Audi directly (which would not be through SOGA) might make sense too - even just copying letters to them. As if they do opt to supply the part free, then it makes it difficult for the dealer not to contribute too.

I've had a response from Audi customer service and as I haven't had the car serviced with them over the years ( I use a small independent garage) they have said that they won't replace at no cost to me. I've had an offer that they will contribute 50% toward parts and labour.

I'm still bemused that it's gone wrong.

I really feel that they can't be bothered with me as I'm only 1 of their many customers.

I think I would be checking what would have been covered in a full Audi service schedule. In 3 1/2 years I would be quite surprised if any work was done to the winder motor.

To replace the motor the door card/handle needs removed along with the membrane, then the motor is detached and removed (which is normally quite footery in a confined space, as is reassembly). The membrane is normally replaced when reassembling (although cutting a slit then gaffer taping it works fine as its entirely hidden), and there are three bolts, a plug, and either gearing or a pulley to be connected to work the window. If you have all the bits there then its a 30min job.

However, a 50% reduction in charges still makes it over £300 when labour is added (still making them a large profit). I think I would continue chasing them - but be prepared to buy the part from a breaker/factor and let your own garage do the work.

Price it and I suspect £50 - £100 supplied and fitted is realistic.

Ebay has second hand A3 winder motors for £30ish and new for £60ish, but expect to pay more if its the small rear window.

To keep prices in reality - you could get an electric bike for £600, and its likely to have a far better motor.

Price it elsewhere. You are obviously (quite rightly) happy about using a non Audi garage, so why accept a "discount" that is likely to cost far more than having the same job done elsewhere.

Price the supply and fit elsewhere. To get the part number you need, you will need your chassis number (although some places can use your registration) and see what it costs. There is a chance the motor is the same as the front one, but will be set in a different mounting plate.

Once you know the price elsewhere, see what Audi and their garage offer.

Leave your car right outside their entrance with a big notice inside the windscreen "Quoted over £600 to fix an electric window winder motor on this car" - and you might find they want things sorted faster.

Returning to SOGA - if I had paid for an electric motor that cost £600 to replace - I would be expecting it to last longer than yours did.